We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

Bozeman, Montana
3 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

My husband and I (with our 6 yr. old son) are planning a 2 wk trip for our 10th anniversary this coming July. In another forum, I'd asked about which island to visit, BI or Maui, and got some great advice. We're leaning towards the BI- the Fairmont Orchid, but am curious as to how the Hyatt Regency Maui and Fairmont compare in terms of rooms, how busy the resort feels, pools, food, service, etc. Lists of pros/cons and opinions are appreciated! Mahalo!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

Well, for starters, the Hyatt is north of Lahaina about 3 to 5 miles on Ka'anapali Beach. They share the same zip code or something, so they are often lumped together.

Anywhere will be busy in July! If you have a full two weeks, I would split the trip and go to both if they attract you. Also - unless you are dead-set on being in Hawaii on your anniversary, I would wait and take the trip in the fall.

The Hyatt is a great place for kids. Excellent walkable locations - so there are restaurants, amentities and shops within easy walking distance. It's a great resort - but again, anywhere will be busy in July.

But honestly - you have your process backwards. You need to choose your Island first - then your resort. What do you like about Maui? What attracts you to the Big Island? You won't want to hang out at either resort all the time. Hawaii isn't like that. You'll need a car on both Islands. Maui is considerably smaller (but not small) than the Big Island and more manageable for a first-timer visitor.

I urge you to make up your mind, soon. You need to pin down your flights and reserve your cars. You're planning a little late, so don't assume availability.

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

Hyatt has much bigger pool system and it is along a strip of beach and hotels with a mall where there are restaurants and shops.

For two weeks, do a week in each place.

3. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 17:07
LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

The Hyatt, for the kid's sake.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

All, that being said ... choose your Island first.

6. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 17:10
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

I was at the Fairmont Orchid two weeks ago and am at the Hyatt Regency Maui this week. I would say, hands down, the Hyatt on Maui. I feel that two weeks at the Fairmont would get rather boring especially for a child. There is just one small bay/beach and one pool. It's a little isolated also. The Hyatt pools are more exciting with different coves and nooks and crannies so you can vary your pool experience. The beach stretches along the entire length of the property, it's not limited to one small bay. Plus, you can walk to the dining and shopping at Whaler's village or drive just about 10-15 minutes to Lahaina. There is a lot more to do on the island of Maui, in general. Having said that, maybe you've already experienced Maui and want something new?

Rooms-I think the rooms at both hotels are a little tired (although I overheard that some of the Orchid rooms had been renovated?). The balconies and lanais are bigger and nicer at Orchid but the rooms themselves are are smaller at Fairmont. I prefer my room at the Hyatt but my balcony at Orchid. I'm sure this is subjective depending on room type as well.

What activities are you looking to do? We literally spent one day touring Big Island and I felt like we saw almost everything. We saw Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, Hilo, Volcanoes National Park and Waipio Lookout. I know there is more to do but I can't imagine keeping busy for two whole weeks.

I know everyone's travel preferences are different but I hope this helps! How fun to celebrate an anniversary in Hawaii!

Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

I can't comment on the resorts but I disagree that there is "a lot more to do" on Maui. You could spend a few weeks on the Big Island and still not see and do everything.

9. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 17:10
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,612 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt Regency Maui or Fairmont Orchid?

No, no, no, and no. You will not see all there is on the BI in a day or two. That's absolutely absurd.

And this: "We literally spent one day touring Big Island and I felt like we saw almost everything. We saw Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, Hilo, Volcanoes National Park and Waipio Lookout. I know there is more to do but I can't imagine keeping busy for two whole weeks..." Is probably one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen on TA. You basically check listed off just a tiny fraction of some common tourist spots.

What about all the heiau and historical parks? The best snorkeling in the entire country (and better than Maui's by quite a bit, including one of the premier marine animal experiences in the world). The historic Ala Kahakai? Some of the best farmers markets in the state? Paniolo country, the ancient fishponds, petroglyph fields, world-class hula, the wondrous nighttime lava lake viewing at Halema'uma'u crater and the surface lava flows, worldclass stargazing, endemic endangered bird life, mysterious valleys, black sand beaches? And there's no way you actually "saw" Volcanoes National Park in a one day drive by with all that other stuff. Good lord, that's one of the most spectacular places on the planet!

I agree completely that one should choose an island first, then a hotel. But aside from that, I don't necessarily disagree that for you, OP, Maui might be best. But there is much more to do on the BI requiring a lot more time than Maui just because of sheer size. Two weeks here barely scratches the surface of the BI, and will get you the most basic of highlights. So while Maui might be right for you, don't be misled into thinking there's nothing to do here or it can be covered in a day. That's just ridiculous and very ill-informed.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 06:57