We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

napili - Christmas weather

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
napili - Christmas weather

We are coming this Christmas and I have read that weather is better in Soutern part of West Maui. We can't find much at this late date for 2 families (condo) and can get Napili Point 2 bedroom for good price.

Is the weather going to be really that different? I am thinking that it doesnt make sense to pay more and take a place that doesn't have oceanfront view, good beach, or 2 bedroom etc just to get a little further south into "safer" weather.

Looking for advice.

Thanks

Kathy

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: napili - Christmas weather

It can rain more up there during the winter months, but then it can rain all over the island in the winter. The ocean conditions for snorkeling and swimming may not be very good. I personally like a bit sunnier conditions and like to snorkel so I wouldn't stay up there during winter but plenty of people do.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: napili - Christmas weather

As an added note; even if the weather isn't great in Napili, a shortish drive will get you right to Kaanapali, where it can be sunny, warm and clear. I know it sounds crazy on paper, but there are lots of micro-climes on the island. Can't tell you how many times it was pouring at the condo and Lahaina was dry as can be!

So don't stress too much if you have a place already selected.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: napili - Christmas weather

Yes it is a different climate in Napili and Kapalua area. Some people love it.

That area gets almost 4 times the rainfall compared to downtown Lahaina and twice as much annual

rainfall as South Kaanapali.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: napili - Christmas weather

Everything I have read says the best is to stay West in the summer and South in the winter. We moved our reservations for this June from Wailea to Kapalua :).

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,369 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: napili - Christmas weather

Christmas isn't Maui's best season, weather-wise -- just the most expensive! lol

I would not book Kapalua or Napili in winter, but at this point you don't have a lot of choices. Is there *nothing* in South Kihei or Wailea? Is this your first visit to Maui? If you plan to sightsee on the other side of the island, South Maui would also be much more convenient.

Do you have your car or cars?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: napili - Christmas weather

Last three Christmas's in Honokawai (west Maui between Ka'anapali and Kapalua) Some rain not much. Seems to me mostly low 80's during the day. Only really bad day was New Years Day 2013. Snorkeling might be more challenging up on the west side but this past year is seemed slightly better west than south. But conditions change all the time. It rained on us the day we went the South to snorkel and the next day was too windy to snorkel down there, although we drove all the way there to find that out. You'll need a car regardless of where you stay so book that soon if you haven't already.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 20:20
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: napili - Christmas weather

I would say that if you found a place you like, grab it. Weather doesn't care about the calendar and it's a small island. Napili Point is well placed, why not. It's going to be far warmer than Toronto. Our two week Christmas visit had us riding in on the tail of many storms, we stayed in Kihei, but an overnighter in Napili was awesome enough to warrant spending more time there.

I will point out though that if you plan on lots of explorations, balance gas cost/time vs location - seen enough cost cutting on nightly budget that was eradicated by mileage, thus defeating the purpose.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: napili - Christmas weather

I am staying in Kapalua at Christmas and I would not stay anywhere else! I love the area. Yes in general you have more passing showers, but along with it comes the most beautiful rainbows. Christmas can be iffy in general, but last year the bad weather and rain was everywhere. We jump in the car and move if we need to find sun, but it really isn't that far. As others have said, there are plenty of people who love the area and stay there and there are others who want the "guaranteed" better weather in the south. What you have to realize is there is no guarantee on weather- last March we had better weather multiple days in Kapalua than in the south. You just don't know. There are generalizations, but always exceptions. If you found something nice, I'd take it. It's really adding 10 minutes on to any drive you take from Kaanapali.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 14:43
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: napili - Christmas weather

What condo are you looking at at Napili Point? Most of the two bedrooms are really just 1 bedroom plus a loft which lacks privacy for two couples... good for a couple with kids. As noted weather is always a generalization, but there are years of history to indicate where it will *probably* be nicer that time of year.

It really depends what you are looking for to decide where to stay. There are plenty of rentals all over the island that will fit 2 couples. As noted Napili is a short drive north of Ka'anapali.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: napili - Christmas weather

A storm can hit South Maui. Or West Maui. Or the whole Island. Or not. Napili may be windier. If you have found a place on Napili (which is wonderful), go for it. Compared to Toronto, it will be heaven. If you want to go to the beach and the conditions are not ideal - hop in the car and head south for 10 minutes.

Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations