We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kaanapali or lahaina

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
kaanapali or lahaina

We are planning on taking our 2 year old daughter to maui. We have not been to maui before.

we are planning on booking end of October or early November. Can anyone recommend which part of maui to go to in these months and when the best time is to go.

any advise is much appreciated! Thank you :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

Lahaina encompasses the area from just south of the town of Lahaina to Napili area, and includes Kaanapali. I think it would be preferable to stay somewhere other than right in the town of Lahaina.

Honua Kai (in Kaanapali) is a popular choice for families with young children ... newer resort, great pools, condo units.

I don't think there'll be much difference weather wise between end of October/early November and pricing should be the same, so I would choose whatever time suits you best.

A couple of sources to check for rental availability at Honua Kai - VRBO http://goo.gl/Vk5kdV

and kaanapalibeachrentals.com/vacation-rental2.m…

If you need help with other suggestions for accommodation, please let us know your approximate nightly budget.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,472 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

Susan gave great info! Are you looking for hotel or condo? Many family like the space of condos along with the kitchen to have the option to make breakfast and snacks. I started going to hotels my first few years, but I am a condo person now. If you let us know condo vs hotel and budget, we can help further.

California
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

If your lucky enough to be on Maui during Halloween make sure you bring your 2 year old's costume with you. Our kids always had a great time over there during Halloween. For us, we always try to stay in West Maui, just not right in Lahaina itself.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,898 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

Welcome to Trip Advisor!!

Once you get your dates confirmed and flights booked, make sure you rent a car. If you are a costco member, check their website. Also, check out discounthawaiicarrental. They act like a middle person, for all the major rental agencies, and they offer great prices too. Never prepay for the car. The rates often go down in price from when you first book it, and then you can check back periodically. If the price drops, re book the car, then cancel the preexisting one. Some of us have saved hundreds of dollars by playing this "game".

I'd definitely be looking for a one bedroom condo. Nice to have the extra room with your daughter. She can have her afternoon nap in the bedroom, and you can enjoy the living area and the lanai while she is sleeping. Great for breakfasts, and making picnic lunches to take with you to the beach. You can even cook supper occasionally!

Have fun with the planning. And so nice that the trip could be just next month!!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

Your daughter would be welcome to walk with you in the Keiki parade Oct 31st Halloween. Will post the starting time for you. Soroptomists organize the children's parade on Front Street Lahaina. It starts by Hard Rock.

Level Contributor
35,969 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

The Honua Kai condos are very nice with a family. We had a two bedroom unit in the Konea Tower for 6 nights and could not have been happier with our stay there. :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

I don't see any indication of a budget. The Honua Kai looks great to me and is probably a great choice if you can afford it. Just a quick glance at VRBO suggests that per night prices start at $325 to $350. So if you can let us know how much you want to spend per night, it'll be easier for people to help you out.

North of Kaanapali is Honokowai, which has plenty of great ocean front condos for $200 and below. They just don't have the glorious beach right in front of you.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

We are partial to Maui Ocean Club (Marriott on Kaanapali Beach). The beach is fabulous, the pirate ship is great for little ones, the walking path is awesome, the proximity to Whaler's Village is nice and you are close to downtown Lahaina for food and shopping. The rooms in the older section have small refrigerators, toasters, microwaves and a dishwasher. There is free laundry in the main building and grills for all to use. The newer tower has full kitchens and laundry in the unit but cost quite a bit more. Both are great options with a little one. Have an amazing trip!

9. Re: kaanapali or lahaina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19