We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai for 4 people

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
327 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai for 4 people

Good morning,

I am wondering if the Honua Kai is a good fit for my family. Me, my husband and a 11 and 13 year old boys. We stayed in a studio with 2 queen beds at the Hyatt a few years ago and that suited us fine. What I liked about it was sitting on the lanai and watching the sunsets and whales. Also loved walking to Whalers Village in the evening along the boardwalk. My sons like the activity and busyness around the Kaanapali area. We would like to try something different though, with a kitchen. My questions about the Honua Kai:

1) Is there a studio with 2 beds? My boys won't sleep in the same bed but we have no problem splitting up a parent with a kid and have always done this in the past. Ocean View is more important than size of unit.

2) Any possibility of a rollaway being available?

3) How far is the walk to Whaler's Village? Farther than the Hyatt to Whalers?

4) If we get a one bedroom suite, is the second bed the pull-out sofa and is it comfortable? Do all rooms at the Honua Kai have a pullout sofa? I wonder this because when I input a room for 4 it comes up with a king bed so I assume the sofa must be a pullout or am I wrong?

We are also planning on staying at the Grand Wailea for a few nights at the end of the trip for a suprise ending for the boys. Thus, we are trying to make the first half of the trip more economical. The Honua Kai seems to have some reasonable rates at time of posting. I love the idea of the Mahana for myself but feel it might be a bit too far to Whalers Village and a bit too quiet for the boys.

Thank you so much for any info you can give me.

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

I'm 99% sure that all of the studios at Honua Kai are 1 king size bed and a pullout (queen size) sofa. I don't think they have rollaways. I've heard the walk to Whalers village is roughly a 45 minute walk on the beach path.

I haven't stayed there yet (we're staying there in May of 2014) so I can't comment on the comfort of the sofa bed, but I haven't seen any complaints. You might try searching for a 1 bedroom plus den. I think they're in the Konea tower only. Then each of your boys would have their own sofa bed and you could have the king in the bedroom.

Level Contributor
34,218 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

Honua Kai is perfect for a family! We had a 2 bedroom unit in the Konea Tower. We had a guest sleep on the sofa bed and he said it was very comfortable. Have fun! :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
395 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

Our kids won't sleep together either, so we were pleasantly surprised when the Honua Kai condo we rented came with an inflatable bed. It definitely made the bedroom very cramped, but the extra bed was nice (and very comfortable). The pullout was comfortable as well. We sacrificed our usual oceanfront view when we stayed at Honua Kai; however, we were quite happy with the lawn, view, and pool access from this condo: http://www.vrbo.com/347554

We'd like to stay in this one (with a den) if we decide to return to HK: http://www.vrbo.com/431118

Good luck finding the right unit for you.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 18:53
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

1) They have pullout sofas, they are not the most comfortable though.

2) I don't know the answer to the rollaway, but I doubt it, since it is a condo with a pullout couch that is designed to take away the need for rollaways

3) Roughly twice as far. It's a solid walk that can be dark at night in some areas.

4) See my answer to question 1. It is the same.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate the info as I continue my research. One bedroom with a den sounds like it would be perfect for my family also. I will look into that.

New Lenox, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

We stayed at the Honua Kai just recently in a 1 bedroom condo. There was a king sized bed in the master bedroom and a sofa bed in the main living area. We had a similar setup w/the kids. My daughter (11) and I slept on the sofa bed a few nights and the hubby and son (15) slept in the master bed. Then we switched. The master bed was very comfortable. The sofa bed was surprising comfortable to me. I have trouble with my back and did not have any trouble after sleeping on the sofa bed. Before booking the one bedroom, I asked about getting a roll away in a studio and was told they are not allowed in studios due to fire regulations. We booked the 1 bedroom condo just in case we needed to get the roll a way. At check in, we asked about a roll a way bed, it was allowed in the one bedroom unit, but there was (if I remember correctly) a $25. per night charge. We opted to see how it goes with the king bed and the sofa bed. It worked out great for us. We also were trying to keep costs down and enjoy ourselves at the same time. The unit was beautiful. The kitchen was well equipped to cook meals (which I did a lot!), and the washer and dryer in the unit saved us from packing too much! No matter where you stay, I'm sure you will be happy! Maui is paradise on earth!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

Kitaaaaa, my husband and I enjoyed our stay in a beautiful Honua Kai studio. And the resort seems great for families. Our boys are in their 20s now. In their teens, I think they would have been happy with HK's location but would have preferred the "main drag" on Ka'anapali south of Black Rock.

None of us, however, would have had a great family vacation with two parents and two kids all in a one room studio! Of course you know your own family, but unless your kids are very young, I would say everyone would be much happier with separate rooms for parents and kids for space and privacy. That is the biggest advantage of a condo stay for families.

We stayed in less expensive places on Maui with our kids in order to have more space. It was wonderful! Maui will bring out the romance in your marriage - let yourself have a vacation too!

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
715 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

The pull out couch in a Studio is a full/double in size and will be a Queen in the 1BR's. Nearly all the studios have but a single sink vs double vanities in nearly all the 1BR's. The Studios have next to nill for storage space for your belongings as well as for the owner to stock the unit with extras. I completely agree that a 1BR with a den or better still a 2BR would suit you. Sounds like you are going during whale (high) season so best to get your reservation now. A roll-away will only be available by booking through the resort (VRBO not an option).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

We have stayed in the Honua Kai twice. The first time we rented from a private owner and it was a beautiful 2 bedroom 2 bath with a wrap around lanai in the Hokulani Tower. They gave us the option of seperating the one bed and having 2 twins in one of the bedrooms. I think you most likely will be able to do that with any of the 2 bedrooms. We loved it! We decided to rent a 1 bedroom 1 bath on our most recent 10day trip and even with 3 of us, we felt very cramped. The kign bed was comfortable and my daughter said the sleeper sofa was comfortable enough for one person but not having an extra bedroom with a dresser and closet just made the condo feel very small. The Whalers Village is quite a walk from the Honua Kai. The path takes you away from the ocean and then brings you back toward it so its quite a long walk.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai for 4 people

We stayed in a 2 bed/3bath private unit at the Honua Kai. There were six of us. One adult slept in the living pull out sofa and it was very comfortable, one child on a blow up bed and two adults in each King bedroom. I think by renting from a private owner you will get more things. There was a closet with beach chairs, umbrella, boogie boards, etc.

We always take the shuttle from the Hyatt to Whaler's Village, but at the HK, we always took our car. You only need to buy something from the ABC or other stores, to get parking validated.