We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

My husband and I will be visiting Lahaina in February, this is our first time ever. What are some things that we must see or do? We are up to anything, so any recommendations are welcome. Also should we get a car?

We will be there from 2/12/14-2/19/14

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

Where are you from? There is no hometown, state or even country on your profile. This informations helps us a great deal.

Where are you staying? There is Lahaina the "town' - and also the resort areas to the north that are often lumped in with a Lahaina address.

Do you have a good travel guide for Maui? A good map? You need both right away - as you need to dig into your "Maui homework." Read about the various areas of the Island and their activities and sites.

Yes, you will need a car - and you need to reserve it NOW. Maui can, and does, run out of rental cars. You will be traveling at a very busy time. You will want to reserve any luau plans, catamaran sails and special dinners by the end of the year - at least.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

February = Humpback Whales... enjoy a whale watch.

New Lenox, Illinois
Level Contributor
250 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

Congratulations! I'm sure whatever you do you will have a great time! There are sooo many things to do, it all depends on what you like. Our favorites were a snorkel excursion to Molokini, a luau, parasailing (I don't believe you can do this in Feb. due to the whales migrating). The Road to Hana is beautiful, but a long one. With the amount of time you will be there, you will have to determine if you want to take a day to do this. Try to plan some down time to just enjoy the beauty of the island. These are just a few ideas. I'm sure there will be many more ideas from others! Have a wonderful time!

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

My husband and I will be there February 10th to the 20th, and it is our first trip too! This is what I have done in the last four weeks...Rented a Mustang Convertible from Discount Hawaii Car Rentals, rented a condo, made reservations for a Whale Watch trip, Fest of Lele and Mamma's Fish House.

We plan to snorkel the South and West shores and watch the huge waves on the North shore. Visit the Upcountry and see the sunset and Full moon rise a Haleakala on the 14h. We will certainly leave a day for the Road to Hana.

I have a good knowledge of Happy Hour crawls and great sunset restaurants. I used a library guide book and this site, I feel very confident in my plans. Have Fun, maybe I'll see you there :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

Thank you for the replies.

We love to be outdoors, so snorkeling is defiantly on our to do list. So are whale watching and the Road to Hana.

I plan to reserve our car this week. We are staying at the Westin Maui in Lahaina and flying into the airport in Kahului originally from California.

We have been to Waikiki but have been told Maui is nothing like Oahu. We are looking forward to Maui. Hawaii is so beautiful I'm sure it will not disappoint us.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

You are in luck! That weekend is the World Whale Day celebration in Kihei.... there is a parade at 9AM followed by a day of free entertainment at Kalama Park with food booths and local artisans.

mauiwhalefestival.org/events/world-whale-day…

We were there a couple of years ago and saw Hapa, John Cruz and several other local musicians.... if you go, plan to get there early.... parking can be a challenge and the main road will be closed for the parade, so the shuttles may not be very helpful after the parade starts. We walked a mile or so from where we parked.

We plan to be there again this year....

Do not forget to bring your camera, camcorder, sunscreen and a hat....

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,695 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

Hop over to the main Maui forum page and start reading! There is a ton of great info to the right on that page. Read through some of the trip reports and you will begin to see what appeals to you and your travel style.

Make a list of what interests you, decide over coffee on the lanai each morning what is "speaking" to you for the day.

Should you decide you want to see a luau or take a boat cruise make your reservations soon. Don't book too many paid excursions...the beauty of Maui is that most of it's most breathe-taking sights and experiences are free!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

I agree with mamma - pull up the Maui Forum and start reading. The Lahaina Forum ... well I don't know why it exists, actually - as you can read it from the Maui Forum (it's included).

The Westin Maui is in Ka'anapali - not Lahaina. And there are two Westins, so be aware: the resort and spa ... and the villas.

Maui is alot like Oahu - both are gorgeous! But Maui is not as developed, no large city.

Again, I recommend that you pick up a travel guide or two and a good map of Maui ... and dig in.

Here is a Ka'anapali map that will help you. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

Thank you Mamma0233 I will defiantly check out the main Maui forum. Thank you IWJ for the World Whale Day celebration heads up, that should be fun entertainment.

I just booked our car!!! one less thing to do.

10. Re: Visit to Lahaina in February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 00:35