We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

Frankfort, Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

My fiance and I are going the 3rd week in April 2014. We have never been. We are booked to stay at KBC. We also want to get married while there. We do not want an expensive wedding, just a small ceremony for the two of us. Need suggestions as to who can do our ceremony. Not wanting to spend a bunch of money on the marriage and would like to be married on a beach, and some pics, looking to only spend $300. Also, want fun things to do, all suggestiins are welcome!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

Did you check out this page from the top questions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-c15486/Maui:Ha…

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

There is a ton of information right at your fingertips. Check out the link almostgrownup gave you to start. Also at the top of this page is a link "Things to do". Have a look at that. Also read the current threads and read trip reports. This will give you insight to what Maui is all about.

Frankfort, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

Thank you

Frankfort, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

I am looking for specific recommendations

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

Becky.......Ai have watched plenty of Maui weddings from my fav beach bug had never been invited to one until last year. Ed watched my sister's BF get married close to Makena Landing, in south Maui. Their wedding official was Keoki Souza and I cannot say enough wonderful words about his service. It was just amazing. I would recc him in a heartbeat.

I know their wedding was more costly than your budget, but still simple. I am sure you can find the info you need in the Top Questions, but let me wish you the best Maui ever and a lifetime of happiness together. A google search should find him, but I vowed that if I ever have a need for a wedding official, I was going to remember that name and hope he is available. Take care, Deb

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

"fun things to do" is different for different people. Do make use of the wedding link given. There is a ton of information there, and people have put in a lot of effort to make it available to people like you. Have a read through it, and then come back with specific questions and then we can help you better.

I was just going through that link myself last night, looking for information about vow renewals, and there was one for less than $300.00 for an hour of their time. I don't remember her name, but her husband is the photographer with the last name "Wheeler". They even listed their preferred beaches!

Congratulations too on your upcoming wedding! You have picked a beautiful place to start your "new" life together.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,319 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

Our son and DIL used Rev Al in October and he was wonderful! http://www.alapaki.net/ His wife, Laurie, does wedding planning and provide services for our son & DIL, but you can probably just have a simple ceremony with Rev Al. I don't know what his rates are though.

You'll need to obtain a marriage license in Hawaii prior to the wedding - you can make an appt. in advance to meet with the license agent a day or two before the wedding.

Not sure if you are familiar with theknot.com - but you might find some help there as well. Here's a link to the forum for Hawaii weddings: …theknot.com/categories/local-wedding-boards…

antioch
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

We used Rev. Micheal Beachwood and his photographr wife JJ Preston, might be slightly over your budget.

www.mauiweddingplanner.com/special.html

you might look at this other one that might fit within your budget

www.mauiweddingplanner.com/special.html

we ordered a little wedding cake for two at

http://mauiweddingcakes.com/

a lilikoi cake, it really finished up our sunset wedding perfectly.

best of luck!

antioch
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

so much for my linking ability!! two of the same, i'll try and get it right next time, jeezzz, i need a computer trainer.

try this..???

http://www.mauiweddingadventures.com/

Edited: 15 January 2014, 01:30
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time to maui, wanting to get married there, any advise

Hi, we got married 7 years ago on Kapalua bay beach and used the services of rev Laki, he is outstanding. I did the whole thing myself, none of this expensive wedding planner stuff, unless you want to be a bridezilla. We had a great photographer who gave us digital card and we had a videographer also. Had a gorgeous cake, and all kinds of flowers. In fact we just came back from being in Maui and Kuaui for a month and got to see rev Laki again. Make sure you get there early to get license, as even though you have an appt, sometimes things happen, and we had an appt 3 dys in advance and the licensor went off island with no backup, then we finally found one in Lahina at a travel agency. Do the legwork yourself if you are capable as it is less expensive. Get a special notebook and put everything in it, then cross stuff off and write everything down and bring with you. Even know a dressmaker if you need. Good luck let me know if you have any questions.

Get answers to your questions about Lahaina
Recent Conversations