We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

We are a family of four (two children, ages 10 and 11). Looking at a condo at Westin Kaanapali Villas and Kaanapali Alli. Where should we stay and why? :) Thanks! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

One is north of Black Rock, right by a wonderful snorkeling beach. Much quieter north of Black Rock, but still easy to get to Whaler's Village. And Ka'anapali Alii is south of Black Rock, right in the thick of all the "action" of Ka'anapali Beach.

You can't go wrong with either one, after all, you'll be on Maui!

I'd be looking at the prices, how many washrooms there are, if there is a washer/dryer in the unit, and the view.

NOTE: I've never stayed in either one.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

Joan gave awesome advice. I too have never stayed at either, but been by both. I would be looking also at where I can get more of what you want. Both come highly recommended. I would stay at the Westin because of the snorkeling and it is in a quieter area, however if I could get a better view at KA I would maybe go there. Both are great choices!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
143 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

I have stayed at both. It has been a few years ago for KA but the units were nice but showing there age. The Westin is a newer and very beautiful property and is still close to everything and there is a shuttle from the Villa's to the Westin and Sheraton Hotels and Whalers village. Have stayed twice at the villas. I am sure you will be happy with either.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

I too have stayed at both. The Westin Villas are more geared to children that the Alii is. The Westin has a kids pool that is themed on a pirate ship if memory serves. Their adult pool is a joke by the way - way off in a corner that gets little sun and its tiny.

The Alii's location is better than the Westin's and it has a better beach. Its a very brief stroll to resturants & shopping from the Alii whereas the Westin is more of a hike. As mentioned previously, there is a shuttle, but you'll have to work with its schedule.

It all depends on what's important to you and your crew.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,979 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

Yup it's really a toss up! I will give the edge to the Westin with kids that age for the pools, they'll love the pool slide, water basketball and other kids to bond with and you'll enjoy the great shuttles. When they are older and can be trusted on their own to wander Kaanapali I would probably choose the Ali'i. We own at the Westin and it is pre-teen heaven!

Southern California
Level Contributor
72 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

Stayed at both- Westin villas are much better...grounds, beach, pools

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,358 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

Kristin - you know that these properties are not in Lahaina ... yes? The areas north of Lahaina share a zip code (or something) with Lahaina Town ... so often the addresses read "Lahaina."

Both of your prospective properties are on Ka'anapali Beach, about 3 - 5 miles north of Lahaina. Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. If this comes up small, click on it. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Both properties have advantages. I'd opt for Ka'anapali Ali'i ... but the Westin Villas are great, too!

Oregon
Level Contributor
411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

I just returned from a stay at the Alii. We stayed in two different units (long story involving snow at home); both were very comfortable and met our needs for cooking, comfort, laundry. We had the "mountain view" which was lovely. The grounds are lovely, with a regular pool, and a quiet pool, towel service, beach toy rental, free movie library (not large), fitness center, tennis courts and a perfect location.

I cannot compliment the staff enough - terrific service by every single person we encountered.

Our only minor grumble was noise at night (traffic, I guess) - we slept with sliding doors wide open, so we could have reduced the noise by shutting the doors.

9. Re: Where to stay: Westin Kaanapali villas or Kaanapali Alii?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:19