We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai beach

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai beach

How is the beach? Good swimming, no undertow, rocky? Do we need water shoes? Do you sink in the sand when entering? (Beach in Waikiki was like that)

Thank you for information!

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai beach

Our trip is in May, but I keep hearing that the entry is a little rocky, but once you get 100 feet out it's not bad at all. I think I'll probably take water shoes just in case!

California
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai beach

It's not the best beach for swimming, mostly for lying in the sun or getting your feet wet. For close by beaches most people either walk down closer to the Sheraton or further up the beach towards Napili or Kapaula.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai beach

Comingforthesun ... this is your first trip, yes? Understand that Honua Kai is not in Lahaina. It's about 6 miles north of Lahaina in the Ka'anapali area. Many of the properties north of Lahaina share a postal code with Lahaina ... but they are not in Lahaina town.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. Honua Kai is just off the map past the Westin Villas (A) on the map - to the left.

It's best to post on the Maui Forum. The sub-forums just confuse everyone!

Edited: 06 February 2014, 18:22
Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai beach

Oops did not realize I posted in Lahaina forum.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai beach

Not a problem. When you pull up the Maui Forum, it includes the Lahaina posts. I really don't know why there are sub-forums ...

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai beach

There are a couple of areas of the beach in front of HK where entry is good - i.e. pretty much free of shoreline rocks; and in some places there are smooth shoreline rocks - once you swim out 20-30 feet it's even better. But other areas have abrasive shoreline rocks. Unless the water is rough, you should be able to find areas to go in easily. We found swimming was better in front of the Konea tower vs. Hokulani.

I have worn water shoes to swim there on previous trips, but on our trip this past October, we were in almost every day for 2 weeks, and I didn't wear water shoes and had no issues. If you don't have them, but decide you would like some once there, they are available at a cheap price at the ABC store - a 10 minute walk from HK. Other stores will have them as well ... e.g. I think Longs Drugs sells them.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 20:15
Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai beach

Thank you susanM2004 good to know the abc store is close by too.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai beach

most of that stretch of beach has an ancient coral shelf right at the breaker line, and the breakers make it hard to see at times. So it's not just an easy sandy stroll into the water. Water shoes would do fine. since contact with that old coral will cut you. If you look closely before you enter you can find narrow passages through the shelf making entry easier. Whatever you do, do not just jump into the breakers, since the breakers are one part water and 5 parts solid rock. right in front of the HK this shelf is at its most shallow, and you will have to get around this shelf to swim. Probably safer especially if you have kids to enter the water further south. You can clearly see this formation of Google earth.

Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai beach

Thank you Dhauk, very interesting info.

Level Contributor
34,455 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai beach

Not rocky, easy entry, the first thing we did when we arrived at Honua Kai was put on our snorkeling gear and explored the waters there. Go to Kapalua too! :).