We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

We will be there March 7-14 and hope to see whales on a tour?

Thanks!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

Thanks for starting a new thread! At that time of year, you will see lots of whales! They are all over. You will see them from shore also, but it is great to get out on a boat.

For basic catamarans, look at Trilogy, Gemini or Teralani.

Rafts try Captain Steve or Ultimate whale watch

For bigger studier boats try Hawaii Ocean Project.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

We have had good luck with The Pacific Whale Foundation and Hawaii Ocean Project

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

Our first whale watch was with Trilogy, on a catamaran and very enjoyable. Not very crowded and great crew. After reading on these forums about Capt. Steve and Kuleana an Ocean Project, those are the two whale watches we will enjoy on our upcoming trip. I am excited to be on the raft and much lower to the water. I have no seasick issues. I believe whale watches are the best bang got your buck......so inexpensive and to see the whales is such a mind blowing experience. Deb

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

"Best" is relative and just a matter of opinion. I've enjoyed going out with Trilogy, Paragon and Teralani as well as a company called the Mahana Naia. My preference is to couple the whale watching with a snorkel tour. Especially if you can't do both!! Some leave from the west side, some from the south and some from both!!

Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

Thank you you info is helpful. Hoping to book a private tour with Capt Steve. Any comments-info on private charters?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

I love Captain Steve's! We went with him 3 times at Christmas and 3 times last March. Private tours are really expensive..with him or anyone. I found it isn't the same as the Caribbean where I was used to booking private Charters. If you have the money and desire...I guess that would be up to you. I do find his your are not that crowded and we haven't had an issue with that being a problem on any of our trips.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

If you want to travel under sail with a small-ish group I recommend Scotch Mist II (out of Lahaina). Very fun.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

Also consider the type of boat you would be most comfortable on.

Our cousins are just getting back from the annual Whale Trust whale watch. Will get an update over dinner tonight.

aloha

Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

Thank you, I look forward to your comment.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which tour company/guides is the best for whale watching?

minnigal, You should have no trouble seeing whales in early March. I am on Maui now, and the whales are everywhere. I would not consider a private tour, since half the fun is sharing your excitement with others on the boat. The choice of tour is personal preference/comfort. The naturalists (guides) are usually good on all of the boats out of Lahaina/Mala. If you check Day 5/Feb 13 on my blog, you can see a comparison of a couple of the boats and also some whale watch photos:

http://almostgrownupmaui.wordpress.com