We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai question

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai question

Last year we stayed at the KBH, this year we may go back there, but a few questions about Honau Kai.

What we really enjoyed about the KBC was the laid back atmosphere, you didn't have to worry about Towels on chairs etc., you just relaxed, not 10,000 kids etc. It was nice having the restaurants close (Honau Kai has Dukes and ?)...

I see Honau Kai are condos and this may make the atmosphere laid back, but again it may not. This may mean more kids...so what is the vibe like?

I know there are big differences between the 2 properties and not looking to compare one against the other, anyone reading posts here can see Honua Kai is a much newer resort with nicer pools, beach has minor issues with coral and KBC is an older hotel but in the heart of Kanapali Beach (yes I cant spell).

Beauty is in the mind of the beer holder, or something like that, Aloha!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai question

Honua Kai is laid back. The rooms are beautiful and the pools are very relaxing. Duke's offers poolside food and beverage service also which we loved. :).

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai question

Loved Honua Kai ...great atmosphere, locations and the rooms were clean, spacious and well equipped

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
528 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai question

HK was awesome. We are empty nesters and found a great mix of young and old. The kids usually stuck to a certain pool leaving one pool peaceful. Great service from Dukes around the pool. We got up every morning had a workout in the Fitness Room and then did our walk to Whalers Village. There is a nice coffee shop in one the the buildings.The grocery store is right across the street.The rooms are very high end with comfortable beds. We had the mountain view which was great watching the sunrise every morning.We love to walk so it was a perfect location...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai question

We were at Honua Kai in August. It is very busy with families, lounge chairs are hard to find around the pool, but we always found some together. Usually went down to beach in the morning, then when it got more breezy, moved back up to the pool area.

We had a direct ocean front unit, which came with it's own BBQ, so made it nice for cooking dinner. They have community ones for use down by the pools for the other units.

Dukes has pool side service, so it was nice to order lunch and have it brought to you. The restaurant for dinner was not our favorite of all we dined in, but it was handy the afternoon we arrived, and finished our grocery shopping. We like Hula Grill, Leilani's on the Beach, and Kimo's better of the TS brand. We got in the car every evening for restaurants in the area.

We would stay there again, the units are gorgeous. We rented through vrbo.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai question

Could you tear yourself away from Kaanapali? If you want more quiet, I'd look at Napili or Kapalua (not winter) or Wailea/South Kihei. Anywhere you have tall elevator buildings, you are going to have lotsa people. 'The ends' of Maui have many low-rise, low-density vacation rentals.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai question

Actually, I was wondering what time of year you were planning on traveling. And while kids will always be on Maui, it may make a difference on the number of kids depending on your travel dates.

May and September/October are much quieter than other times of the year.

New Lenox, Illinois
Level Contributor
170 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai question

We stayed at the Honua Kai in the beginning of June with our kids! Maybe it was too early for kiddie season, I didn't feel like it was overrun with kids. In fact, I didn't feel like it was crowded at all. It was nice and relaxing. We walked around the grounds during the day, and at night it and never felt like we were running into people.

Davis, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai question

I want to thank all of you for your kind feedback! We decided the KBH for this trip, but I expect many more in the coming years. Why...we stayed last year, love the location, the pool is small thus less kids, Dukes sevrice does sound really nice at Honua Kai, the food at the KBH pool here is a step down, all in all we like the location and atmosphere, Cheers and Aloha!

9. Re: Honua Kai question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16