We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

Napa, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

We are looking to end our vacation in Maui with a stay at either the Hyatt or Westin. We'll be staying in a condo in Lahaina for 9 days, and want to end with a more "resort" like experience at the end for the kids (ages 14 and 12). Looks like both have pretty similar pricing, so would love to hear opinions on the pools and water slides at each.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

We've stayed at the Westin in the past and absolutely loved it and I would not hesitate to stay there again. The pools were a lot of fun and I thought the grounds were gorgeous. The beach area is much better in front of the Westin than the Hyatt. We loved that it was a very very short walk to Whaler's Village. It was nice to walk there for lunch and to have a place so close by to be able to do a little shopping.

California
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

Although I agree the Grand Wailea would be the first pick for kids, between your two hotel choices my 3 kids have always picked the Westin over the Hyatt simply because of the pools/slides. To me both hotels are comparable and we've stayed at them both. Never a problem with either plus it's a great location.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

Aloha!

We did exactly what you are planning- we stayed in a condo and the last night switched to westin. Our kids (16,16,10 and 9) LOVED the westin they had a blast at the pool - waterslides, pool service everything was fantastic. We enjoyed it so much we are doing the same thing in January when we go again- one week condo, one night westin!

The kids also really love the location right next to whalers village.

Have fun!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,702 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

>>>The beach area is much better in front of the Westin than the Hyatt. We loved that it was a very very short walk to Whaler's Village.<<<

MauiNoKaOi is spot on with his evaluation of the Westin. We first stayed there when it was the Maui Surf and last stayed there in 2008 with a trip in between. It is the cramped nature of the property that I hated and then the "Deluxe Ocean View" room we had. It is the second highest category of room (not counting suites) so we didn't expect to be awakened at 6AM every morning to the beeping of garbage trucks or the salty language of delivery men. The "Deluxe Ocean View" rooms sit over the alley between the Westin and Whaler's Village; hardly "deluxe".

In the two times I've been back to Ka'anapali since we've stayed at the Hyatt Regency and enjoyed it much more than the Westin, which we are pretty much done with until they tear it down and start over.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Ka'anapali Beach
Ka'anapali Beach
7,793 Reviews
Maui, HI
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

Interesting to finally read the history of the Westin and understand some of the regular posters negativity about it. The reason we stayed at the Westin Resort is because I bid on Hotwire and got a 3 night stay for $175 per night. I was actually hoping for the Hyatt. We got an amazing mountain view room in the newly renovated area. The West Maui mountains were so green this year and the sunrises from our balcony were gorgeous!

Loved walking next door to Whalers, church on the beach, loved the pools and loved getting on the Gemini right on the Westin beach for a whale watch.

I agree about the Hyatt beaches, thats the thing I remembered from our past stay years ago-very narrow.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

Yes, the Westin has its detractors but also has lots of fans on TA, me included! Love, love, love the pools as well as its location right next to Whalers. Have stayed at the Sheraton (twice), the Hyatt (once), as well as the Westin. All three are great and just depends which particular amenities are a priority for you.

California
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

If you book through Costco you may extend the car rental for your entire stay. We have done this and it is a pretty good deal. We chose the Hyatt for our first trip to Maui in July. Liked the room layout much better and got a decent rate w/breakfast and car though costco. Might want to double check - I think the Westin may have additional fees as well. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
18. Re: Westin Vs. Hyatt - best pools/slides for teenagers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16