We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Has anyone used Great Hawaii Vacations or have any knowledge of their reputation?? Any information would be really helpful!! Thank you, Renee

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

I haven't used them, but have checked out them out. For my trip last year and this year, I used Hawaiivisitorcenter.com I liked their prices and they seemed to do a good job for me. Check the web for other vacation package sites and also try all of the airline sites also to shop around and get an idea of what prices and hotels to choose from. Have fun and enjoy Hawaii.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

We used them in Jan. when we went to Maui. The agents that I talked with were all very helpful and pleasant. I specified that I wanted to stay in a place which was more adult oriented. We satyed at the Ekolu Villiage condos in Wailea(I have a review posted of the place). Got a one bedroom/ two bathroom plus a rental car for $230 a night. It really exceeded my expectations. Their prices were better than any othersI found on the internet. However, that was before I heard of VRBO. We had no problems and were very happy with GHV. Let me know if you have any other questions.

jj

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Thank you for the information! I normally don't use travel agents, but this is a large extended family trip where a little savings x 10 people can be a lot of money! I was a little nervous about booking with them since I have never heard of them but their price was much better than I found anywhere else. Although that is a good thing, I wanted to check them out a little bit and make sure it was not just proverbial, "too good to be true".

I really appreciate the posts! Thanks again, Renee

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

We used Great Hawaii Vacations this past summer (June). Stayed at Kaanapali Alii on Maui. They had the best rate we could find. We stayed in a two BR Premier OV condo and it was beautiful. The condos are un by Classic Vacations (I think) so I was worried that perhaps we would get a less than desirable condo having used a cheaper competitor. We couldn't have been more pleased. The condo was beautiful, the only negative would have been the "view", but you get what you pay for, you know. I spoke with someone at GHV named Tim and he was very, very helpful. I posted a review of our condo on this site with pictures if you want to check it out. I would definately use them again.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Thanks for the information!! I did book with them and we are really looking forward to the vacation. So far everything has gone great.

Thank you guys again for the great replies! Renee

Agoura, California
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

I used them for a wonderful anniversary trip with my bride of 20 years. I found them to be very professional. You get assigned an agent (so no calling back to get someone else). Their prices were wonderful. According to them,, they have the largest selection of properties in Hawaii (even more than the big guys - Expedia and Travelocity) and they did have a couple properties that were not listed on the big online sites. Overall, they were beyond our expectations. My wife and I plan to take the kids next year and will definitely use Great Hawaii Vacations.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Thanks, Bearboy. I do feel more confident about using Great Hawaii Vacations after the positive feedback from everyone.

Thanks everyone, Renee

Boston, MA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Hi- I am considering booking through Great Hawaii Vacations, but am slightly nervous. How come their prices are so much better than others? It just feels too good to be true....

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

Hi knmx21,

We did end up using Great Hawaii Vacations in 2006 for our extended family Christmas vacation. We used them for our hotel and car rentals but not air since I was partially using frequent flyer miles. Everything turned out great.

We booked 3 families/4 rooms at the Maui Hyatt and 2 mini vans. Like you I was very nervous b/c of their pricing but also b/c I was booking for all my in-laws & for Christmas!

We were given the best rooms (imo) in the room category we paid for - partial ocean view. Our rooms were on the top floor on the side that does not do the luau. I think that was probably just good luck, but GHV definitely wasn't just booking us in worst room in the category.

Best I can remember, GHV books blocks of rooms thereby receiving a discount from the hotels. I no longer have those emails (we actually just threw all that stuff away spring cleaning a closet), but it seems like we worked with Tim. Sorry but I can’t remember his last name. He was very professional and answered my million questions diligently.

The only down side, I was told that I could receive Hyatt points even though I booked through GHV. It sounded too good to be true & was. I did not receive any points on the rooms, just the extras charged. Financially, it was still probably would have been better to book through GHV than rack up the points but was a little disappointed when I found out.

I hope that helps! Erpp

NY
Level Contributor
316 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Hawaii Vacations - used?

I just had a bad experience with them. They were trying to charge me the same price for a 7 day stay as a 6 day stay. I told them that did not make any sense and they told me because the 7th day was free it was the same price as the 6th day. I had them double check since it made no sense to me and they told me the same story. When I checked on their website and inputted the information myself, the rate for 6 days was of course lower. I felt like if they were able to get away with overcharging me they would of. They were also very rude and apply a lot of pressure to purchase your trip by the end of the day. I would personally stay away from this agency.

You should try saveonaloha.com and hawaii-travel.com because their rates were actually lower.