We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decsions between locations/hotels

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Decsions between locations/hotels

Going to Maui for 1 week in August with 2 adults and 2 kids (8 and 10 y/o girls). Deciding between Wailea and Kaanapali. Want to visit sites on the island as well as enjoy great snorkeling and beach activities. Considering Marriott Ocean Beach, The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas , Honua Kai in Kaanapali and the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tradeoffs between the locations and the hotel/Villa.

Thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

With young kids I always recommend a condo. That is what we do. For us it is so much easier to manage meals and snacks and naps. You can still go out but when somebody is hungry you can just grab something. Two bedrooms gives you separation as well

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

You would be happy with any of the west side villas. The Marriott sits on the main Kaanapali resort strip, the Westin Villas and Honua Kai are in the little quieter area north of Black Rock. All are great for families, awesome pools.

The Westin offers free shuttles into Whaler's Village and Lahaina and offers the best snorkeling of the three right in front of the villas. It's about a 5 minute walk between the Westin and the HK.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,417 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

There aren't any major trade-offs. Some people will try to say that Wailea is closer to the Road to Hana or Haleakala, etc, but a twenty minute time difference in driving would never be a deciding factor for me in choosing a resort hotel.

There is not a bad choice in all the spots you've listed.

I like Lahaina better as a town than the towns in the South so I would choose one of the hotels in the West with Honua Kai and the Westin Villas leading the way, but the Fairmont is a great hotel on a great beach too.

Using Google Maps (I use the classic version, not the new) you can virtually walk through lots of resorts in Hawaii including the Westin Villas and Honua Kai.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZeFNq Westin Villas

http://goo.gl/maps/OvmXW Honua Kai

On the maps above you can rotate 360 degrees, walk forwards, backwards, etc using the arrows in the map. You really can "walk" through the entire grounds.

New Lenox, Illinois
Level Contributor
225 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

We stayed at the Honua Kai and loved having the full kitchen, washer & dryer in the room and the extra space for us to spread out! We rented a 1 bedroom condo for the 4 of us and it gave us enough room that we weren't tripping over each other! As John stated, it is great to be able to make snacks and or meals in your room. We were able to save a ton of money by making our breakfasts, some lunches and dinners right in our own oasis! The washer and dryer made packing easier. Oursuit cases were much lighter as we didn't have to pack as much! It also left more room to bring home more souvenirs! There is a great board walk that runs from the Honua Kai south towards Black Rock. If you have a car, traveling from one place to another is pretty easy!

5. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 17:59
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

I agree that Honua Kai and the Westin KOR Villas would be #1 and 2..........only cause I don't like how jammed the Marriott Ocean club is. To me, that property is really dense-but so is the Westin. I like Honua Kai's grounds best, lots of space--but the Westin has those wonderful shuttles.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

Absolutely agree about the Kea Lani. We have stayed there great place for kids and a great alternative for a condo in a resort. Very spacious suites, nice pools, water slide great beach. Fridge and microwave

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

We loved our stay at the Honua Kai and I just want to mention that there is a shuttle from Honua Kai now too. $2 cost, under 4years free. theoutletsofmaui.com/toomwp/wp-content/uploa…

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

The rooms at the HK are far superior to those at either the M or W. But rooms are not everything. I would rate the W as the best beach location for snorkeling. The HK is a little more rugged. The M has a nice beach but little coral compared with the W. The M is imost centrally located of the 3 and the HK the most isolated. The W offers transportation to Lahaina as well as the shopping and dining of the main Kaanapali area. Since the W and the M are time shares you will not know your room lication until arrival. The HK units are individually owned. You will know your location in advance. Check price. All three are nice and you will be happy at any of the three.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
473 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decsions between locations/hotels

We love the Maui (Marriott) Ocean Club. Have been staying there for the last 17+ years. It's the best of both worlds for us, like a hotel and like a condo. Love that we can have breakfast in the room and some days eat all three meals on the lanai. The b-bques are great, the pools are nice, the beach is awesome. Our kids always have a blast. We have also stayed Wailea side as well at the Marriott and the Grand Wailea. We still prefer MOC and always ask ourselves why we tried something new when we love the MOC. Enjoy your trip, no matter what it will be great. You are going to Hawaii after all.