We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Ocean Club

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Ocean Club

Hi All,

Heading to Maui in early September. It's just my husband and I, so we'd prefer a slightly more serene environment, not too overrun with kiddies. We're splitting our time between West Maui (4 nights) and Wailea (5 nights), and I'm trying to figure out the best hotel for us in West Maui. I'm pretty torn between the Sheraton, Royal Lahaina and the Marriott. I can get a great rate on the Marriott because of a friends and family discount, but my concern is that being condo oriented, it might be more family-oriented as opposed to romance. Does anyone have thoughts on these options?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,745 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Ocean Club

The Sheraton is in a beautiful location, right on Black Rock, but if you can save money, and use it for nice dinners and activities, I'd go for the deal! You will find families all year long on Maui, with different variations on the kid factor. Most kids will be in school in September, but there are still a number of kids that are home schooled, or the parents just take them out of school because the flights are more affordable, as are the cost of a condo.

Grass Valley, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Ocean Club

My wife and I stay at the Marriott every year. The property is very nice and due to the price point, there are not a lot of kids. We go late August to early September. The main kiddie pool is on the far south end of the property on the other side of the tower. Use the main pool for less kids but they do have some Pirate ship thing for the kids tucked away in the corner. You won't really hear them over the waterfalls. If you really want to avoid the ankle biters, hang out on the North lawn. It's usually very quite and you'll usually only see a few older kids when they play some lawn bowling game out there. We spend 90% of our time on this side of the property.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Ocean Club

The Marriott is a timeshare and as such probably always has high occupancy. Before it was a timeshare it was a fairly quiet place and we used to stay there. Walking by it these days it always seems pretty crowded.

I would say the Sheraton is more adult oriented and on a better part of the beach.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Ocean Club

We own at the MMOC in the Napili tower (northernmost tower), and love it. I have 3 kids, now grown, and like you I rather prefer onto to have too many kids around. I have found the the 2 quiet pools have far less kids than the big feature pool. Plus, the Marriott has such a huge property, their beach seems to go on forever, and the beach in front of the resort has never been crowded in my observation, though we have not visited in Fall, only Spring and the very busy whale season of January and February.

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton, but it looks nice and gets good reviews. I love the additional amenities and possible savings of a condo type accommodation. I have no firsthand knowledge of the Royal Lahaina. Sounds like you have some great choices! Happy planning! :-D

5. Re: Marriott Ocean Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:17