We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt or Westin??

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt or Westin??

My husband and I are traveling to Maui in September. We are looking at either the Hyatt Regency or the Westin Maui ResortMaui Resort and Spa. I have read LOTS of reviews, positive and negative on both. For now it looks like there is construction at the Hyatt? The beach is better at the Westin? Just wondering if anyone has other opinions to offer.............

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

The Hyatt is indeed under construction, and they are limited with their parking as a result of that. It is situated on the southern end of Ka'anapali Beach and the beach is very narrow there. It isn't a long walk to a better section though.

Have you checked the Sheraton? Or the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel? Do you have a budget per night? Someone on here yesterday mentioned the Sheraton for $200.00 a night, a fabulous price! I don't remember what time of year they were traveling though.

Welcome to Trip Advisor too!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

Thanks! I was wondering about the Sheraton as well. We are traveling in September and just trying to figure out the better options. Have you stayed at the Sheraton?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

I am not a fan of the Westin Resort. I do like the Hyatt Regency a lot.

Besides these two check the Sheraton, especially the rooms on Black Rock, the Westin Villas and Honua Kai.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

I have not stayed at the Hyatt, but when we walked through it, it looked very nice. We stayed at the Westin a few years back and loved it. We really enjoyed the adult pool and the location was perfect for us...right next to Whaler's Village, so it was a very short walk to get a drink or have lunch/dinner next door.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

I never recommend the Westin Resort.

The construction at the Hyatt is contained at this point, mostly inside the new building. The Hyatt caters to families with kids and large meetings ... but kids won't be a problem in September. The beach is not so good, but it's a short walk to another stretch. I have stayed there and thought it was OK.

The Sheraton is your best choice. Best beach, easy parking ... wonderful views. Spacious grounds ... very open feel. No cross-traffic. I have stayed there a dozen time or more. It's the place you think of when you're having a bad day!

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali Resort area. If it comes up small, click on it. You'll see the Hyatt on the south end of the paved beach path ... and the Sheraton on the north end at Black Rock. North of Black Rock are a few other properties, and Honua Kai (Scott mentioned) is just off the map.

The Westin Resort and Spa is right next to Whaler's Village ... one of their sources of noise.

kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

Thanks! Have you stayed at the Sheraton?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

I appreciate your input. Have you stayed at the Sheraton. It looks wonderful but some reviews indicated things may be a bit outdated? I was able to get reservations for this location!! I just want to know more!

Thanks!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

I've stayed at the Sheraton at least a dozen times.

BTW - None of these resorts is in Lahaina. They may have mailing addresses in Lahaina ... but the resorts themselves as on Ka'anapali Beach, about 5 miles north of Lahaina Town.

Always feel free to post on the Island of Maui Forum for any place on the Island.

Oh, and the Sheraton has a shuttle that will take you to Whaler's Village (if you're feeling lazy), as well as to Lahaina.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you are a Sheraton Fan...........we are celebrating our 35 wedding anniversary and it sure seemed like what you said was what we were looking for. Now.............good places to eat ??

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,049 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt or Westin??

Right at Whaler's Village, there are three restaurants right there, including Hula Grill and Leilani's. And Maui Fish and Pasta. Also, for a special treat for your anniversary, think about Merriman's, or if you are up for the drive, head to Mama's Fish House just east of Paia. Make sure they know it is your anniversary!

And congratulations too!