We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling/Lahaina

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling/Lahaina

Will be in Maui on cruise ship docking at Kahului on Oct 23 from 11:00am to 11:30pm. Planning on renting a car and driving to MA'ALAEA HARBOR for afternoon snorkel trip (1:00 - 5:00) and was then going to drive to Lahaina for dinner sightseeing/shopping. Any info or tips for driving back from Lahaina to the airport to drop off the car, road conditions, what to avoid, what to see, etc.

Could also look at snorkeling at another island if it would be better to sightsee on Maui. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
antioch
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

One thing about Maui when the sun sets it gets dark, real DARK fast. so by the time your snorkel cruise ends and you have dinner in lahaina it will be pitch black. take your time driving back to Kahului

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,240 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

Big Island is the best for snorkelling followed by Maui. But the snorkelling on the BI is all on the west side. If the ship is docking in Hilo, you are better off with snorkelling while on Maui.

Make sure you enjoy some Ululani's shave ice while in Lahaina.

Please do heed donboy's advice. It truly can be dark out there, especially if there is no moon.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

Afternoon snorkel trips on Maui can be very rough because of the winds. Only a few boats do them. Most are off the water by about 1pm. Just depends on how hardy you are and how much you want to snorkel from a boat.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

John makes a very valid point, and one could likely add an *asterisk* to the fact that your afternoon snorkel leaves from Ma'alaea, which is apx the 2nd windiest harbor (after Wellington NZ..) on the planet.

I booked the same trip for a group of corporate suits with very limited island time, who were insistent on endeavoring a Molokini trip, irrespective of the oft adverse conditions, and ended up buying 3 of them (out of the ~10 that took the trip) packages of incredible "Honolulu cookies" to replace the respective "cookies" they all lost on that rockin' & rollin' voyage.. Anyway, don't want to be the naysayer ... as some also have enjoyed their carnival-ride-type experience navigating out in the harbor's chop..

Should you end up in Lahaina, on your way back to the ship I would recommend a stop at Leoda's Pie Shop & Kitchen (in Olowalu -- you'll pass right by on the main highway) to enjoy one of their amazing pies/desserts prior to hitting the sea again -- highly recommend the Choco Mac pie, but any will be heaven! :) Scroll through some photos of the options: http://tinyurl.com/ocm7zk3

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 20 July 2014, 23:18
Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

Thanks for the information, might look at snorkeling on the Big Island instead. Any tips on a scenic drive from the airport to Lahaina and back. Also any ideas for snorkeling on the BI would be appreciated. Would love to see turtles. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,240 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

There is only one drive from the airport to Lahaina, and you would use the same route to get back. It's a wonderful drive around the pali, through the tunnel, and along the coast.

Hop over to the BI forum and make use of the links on the right hand side of the page. They have lots of information about snorkelling. And you can also just "ask a question" on that forum too.

Note that if your ship is going to dock in Hilo, it is a long drive to the east side to experience any snorkelling.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

As Joan indicated, I'd post your snorkeling question to the BI forum, but here is my take for good Big island shore snorkeling: get to Kahulu'u as early as possible in the morning. You can also hit 'Two-Step' if your crew are relatively strong swimmers. Perhaps enjoy lunch in town.

Kahulu'u has become so popular that it can get pretty crowded, & I try to avoid the head kicks from the over-zealous tourists ... so a few great alternate snorkeling options include: Honaunau Bay, Pu'uhonua O Honaunau.

BI port time/schedule being an unknown factor, a manta ray night dive/snorkel is always also a very cool idea/option!

Edited: 23 July 2014, 22:46
Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,240 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

Edit for my post above... it's a long drive to the WEST side for snorkelling!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling/Lahaina

Here's my two cents: I'd skip the snorkel cruise -- as others have pointed out, conditions will likely be pretty rough. Instead I'd drive up the West side to Honolua Bay for an early afternoon snorkel, drive back to DT Fleming to rinse off at the showers (or do the same at Kapalua Bay w/ a little snorkeling), then head into Lahaina. You'll get to experience some great snorkeling, see a beautiful part of the island on your drive, enjoy Lahaina, and make it back to the ship with time to spare. While snorkeling conditions can be pretty rough in the afternoon, Honolua is sheltered from much of the wind and often has very nice afternoon snorkeling.

Have a great time and enjoy your trip!!!

Mentioned in this post
Honolua Bay
Honolua Bay
737 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Honolua Store