We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running Options on Maui

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Running Options on Maui

I will be in Kihei next week and need to do a 20 mile run as part of training for a marathon in October. I've seen suggestions for short routes, but am wondering if anyone has ideas for a longer run?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running Options on Maui

I often see people running along the highway that goes back to Kahului. That would be #311 on a map of Maui, or the Mokulele highway. They acctually had a sidewalk, separated from the road. I would think it would be extremely hot there though. All four lanes of traffic, and right by the cane fields. Could be pretty dusty as well.

You would want to be up very early for your run I think.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Running Options on Maui

here is one for about 5 miles.

Start at the Mana Kai Condo in Kihei, public beach parking available

Run on the beach north to Ulua Beach and pick up the ocean path way down to the Fairmont

turn left on the street past the Fairmont Kaukahi St out to the main drag Wailea Alanui. I believe there is a side walk. Run down to Makena Rd turn right and it will take you back to the Fairmont then on to the ocean pathway back towards the Mana Kai

You can check it out on Google Maps...Wailea

Edited: 06 August 2014, 00:12
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,100 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running Options on Maui

John's route offers much nicer views, and you could just keep going in circles four times to get your 20 miles.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running Options on Maui

I would find a starting spot in Kihei and run into Wailea, head down the hill past The Andaz and then hit the path at Ulua beach and run that past The Fairmont. Head out onto the road there and keep running until you get to 10 miles and then turn around. There are some hills but nothing too bad. The further up Kihei you start, the more beach you'll get to run by. If you go early, you won't have too much traffic on the roads. I had mapped out a 20 miler last year, but ended up not doing the marathon prior to the trip due to an injury. Good luck and Maui is a great place to do your 20-miler.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running Options on Maui

Have you checked out mapmyrun.com? That is always my first spot to check out running routes others have done in places I'm visiting. I've been looking at some shorter runs I can do when we are there in 10 days, assuming my plantar faciitis lets up enough to allow me to run. I'll be so sad if my dream of running on Maui is sidelined because of the stupid PF!!

6. Re: Running Options on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:17