We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expedia trip

Damascus, MD
1 post
Save Topic
expedia trip

I am booking my trip through expedia and have a gotten a pretty good deal on a delux ocean view room. I am wondering if I will get the bottom of the barrel, because I used expedia. I am still paying a decent amount, so I would like a nice room. It will be for my honeymoon in July

Thanks

Missouri
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: expedia trip

Just remember an ocean view and ocean front are two totally diff. things. An ocean view at some hotels are through the trees and barely visable. I am going to Maui on my honeymoon in June and got an oceanfront at the Maui Kai for a straight $700 from an individual. With getting a condo from an individual you know exactly what you are getting and most times are a lot cheaper.

NW, USA
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: expedia trip

in my experience expedia is the most overpriced of all the online travel sites so you might want to look around.

about changing rooms you are unhappy with, we have never had a problem with this and we always book through online travel sites. in fact, the last place we were given a free upgrade from garden view to ocean front because our 'garden view' was just a few of a fence.

in my experience, if you are nice to the staff, they are nice to you. if youre not happy with what you get once you are there, be pleasant and ask for something different.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expedia trip

Expedia did have the best deal when I was booking airfare (and I did shop around). I would just make sure that the room I book was what I wanted (non-smoking or smoking, bed size etc.). Not sure if you can get that through Expedia like you can when you book direct through the hotel.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expedia trip

We subscribe to Budget Travel Magazine and they have had a couple of short interviews with hotel and resort managers. The magazine promised a more in depth look into this in the future.

The hotel/resort representatives were very forthright in saying that they track how reservations are made and that those who book through Expedia, Hotels.com, etc. are the first bumped in case of an overbook, they do not get the best rooms and they do not get the same level of treatment or the same opportunity to upgrade as that those who book direct get.

They also said that it was obvious to them that the primary interest for those who book through brokers is price and that since the services the hotel/resort can provide are of a secondary interest to these customers, they will be treated accordingly.

It seems that if you are looking for the cheapest price, you need to be prepared to accept a cheaper level of service from start to finish.

Actually, I couldn't find fault with their position on this at all.

Somewhere near the...
Level Contributor
493 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expedia trip

jirvin29: Hi, booking through Expedia is just like booking through any other travel agent (with the exception of Priceline, or any other "agency" which allows you to "set your own price" for a service). Expedia contracts with the hotels just as other large agencies do to attact buyers. It is up to the hotel management whether or not they wish to make such contractual agreements, and as such, the level of service from an Expedia-bought vacation should be no less, no more than through any other legitimate agency.

With that said, clients who purchase through "agencies" such as Priceline and Hotwire, where you can "set your price" do, for good reason, receive less-than-stellar accommodations (and sometimes service, tho this makes no sense to me since the hotel in question is/was under no obligation to actually ACCEPT the bid offer of the client, and thus should not treat said client any differently from any other paying guest). For example, if the property has both condos and hotel rooms, a bid through one of these "agencies" may only give you the hotel room, with no chance of upgrade.

=========================================================================================================

tracym2340: One thing you need to understand about ANY hotel reservation, whether booked online or directly with the hotel, is that there are NO guarantees made regarding "preferences" such as bedding-type, smoking/nonsmoking, room placement, etc..... It is ALWAYS based on availability when you check into the hotel. For Hawaii, even the "view" is not always a guarantee, tho most hotels will try to honor, or better, the request of a particular "view", as long as it has been paid for and appears on a confirmed, written reservation.