We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

Which Lahaina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

Trying to decide between Aston Mahana or Napili Shores for our stay in Maui. They're both oceanfront studios. I know Napili Shores doesn't have air conditioning and that's fine. Just wondering which resort has the best swimming beach and best place to take short walks. We are in our late 50's, like to swim, walk, happy hour, hike etc.

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

I have not stayed at either, but have friends that have stayed at Napili Shores and loved it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
14 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

Have not stayed at either hotel, but Napili Bay is beautiful and a great beach.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,468 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

No A/C would be no-go for me, and we're at South Maui in winter. When will you be on Maui? Not a lot of 'walk-to in Napili. Do you have your rental car booked?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,014 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

If you stay at the Mahana, you are guaranteed an amazing view, from EVERY unit. Not so at the Napili Shores. I would pick the Mahana for that reason alone. I like to start my morning and end the day on the lanai. And you are VERY close to the ocean at the Mahana.

You will have people lining up at the Gazebo every morning, for hours at the Napili Shores as well. That would not bother me, but just to make sure you realize how popular that restaurant is... they line up an hour before it even opens.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

I'd say Napili Shores because the beach there is way better than the Mahana. Napili is all low rises with laid back vibe. The strip Mahana is on is all towers.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

I'm doing research way ahead of time, we're actually planning on going mid September 2015. I am guaranteed an ocean front at Napili because the unit we were looking at is ocean front.

I'm told Mahana has a boardwalk to walk and a lot of restaurants which appeal to us but now you're saying the beach isn't that nice, I thought Kaanapali beach was the best in Maui.

The air conditioning part doesn't bother me at all. We will have a rental car.

Still confused, looks like I probably can't go wrong with either.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

I wouldn't stay in a place without AC here in September.............it is often our hottest month.

The Mahana isn't on Kaanapali Beach, despite their best efforts to claim it is. Look at Maui Kaanapali Villas instead--great property on the best part of Kaanapali, and all the units have central AC.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,014 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

The Mahana is north of Black Rock. Still a nice beach just a short walk away. You also have Kahekili Beach on that side of Black Rock. Lots of people enjoy some great snorkeling right there.

Forgot.... use this link to get a free map of Maui. You will be able to plan your trip a lot easier with it right in front of you.

http://www.airmaui.com/FreeMap

Edited: 25 August 2014, 00:10
Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

Napili shores is an older complex, but the bay is beautiful and The Gazebo restaurant is onsite. The Gazebo is fantastic and they do to go orders that you can take back to your condo. The Mahana has great views and location. The beach in front is not great but is fine for a quick swim or snorkeling close by.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me decide between these 2 resorts.

SB, maybe you can tell us why these two are the only two places you're looking at? Since you have a lot of time to plan this, maybe we can help you find other places to look at?

Kaanapali Beach ends next to Maui Kaanapali Villas. The Westin KOR Villas claim they are on it, though most of us don't agree, LOL. The north end of Kaanapali, which is from Pu'u Keka'a (Black Rock) to MKV is lovely, wide, and far less crowded than the south side. Properties include MKV, the Royal Lahaina, the Maui Eldorado, for starters.

North of Kaanapali is Honokowai-which is where Honua Kai, the Mahana, the Maui Kai,and Kaanapali Shores are, to list a few. There's also Papakea right there, which may appeal to you.

in Napili, there's the Shores Napili Kai, Napili Village, and others. Farther up is Kapalua, with the Bay Villas being primo beach location, followed by the Golf and Ridge Villas........

In other words, there are so many great choices here that maybe we can help you find your perfect spot.