We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Four months from today will be going to Maui for two weeks!! Been reading Frommers, TA & any other thing I get my hands on so I can learn as much as possible. Anyways, just wondering if we allow ourselves $100.00 a piece a day will be enough for us? I realize that some trips, excursions etc will cost that much, but some days we will do very little like lay on the beach all day. We plan to go to Costco to get booze, food etc for our room to help with meals etc. If this is not resonalble please let me know. We are staying at Embassy Suites & Sands of Kahana. Any help of advice will be greatly appreciated!! Can't wait to go!!!!

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

So Jan 7th? We will be there too!!! Ok, i think you could do it for $100. We didn't do any excursions...too lazy, snorkeled from beach. Watch the cocktails, they ain't cheap, but some places have "happy hours" and reduce the prices. You can split dinners or have appetizers. Eat big breakfast, or lunch...small dinner. Driving around the island only costs gas..ONLY ha ha. Doesn't cost much to relax...See ya there!!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Hey Sydneycat (awesome cat by the way :-) ) Around how much does it cost to rent a car? That I havent checked into much. We do drink alot & will be hitting the liquor store for sure, our bar bill always goes way over the food bill!! Also plan to buy a cooler to use. I'll probaly go $300.00 a day for the two of us.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Hey islands. The Embassy includes breakfast and happy hour. Go to Costco and load up on booze and lunch stuff. The only meal you need to go out to is dinner. Great coffee shop across the street (Java Nutz) and Hanokowai Okazuya Deli is just 1 block away. Great takeout food (mahi mahi in lemon caper sauce) you can bring back to the Embassy. Bring a big 32 ounce tumbler and than you can make your drinks in the room and take down to the pool area instead of drinking their $8 little drinks.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Oh. This one looked promising ... never mind :(

Ukiah, Calif
Level Contributor
688 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

islands,

sorry i don't know much about car rental as we book thru package (air-hotel-car). I have seen people posting about it tho...

hope your suite has a blender...love those lava flows. if not, drop by our place...just bring some bananas and mac nuts, huh? if you do, you can borrow our car...

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Get your car through Priceline or some say to try Hawaii Discount Car Rentals. We purchased through Priceline back in June for $26/day, but I think if you set your own price, you can get it cheaper. Just remember, once you bid and accept bid, it is money spent and no cancelling with Priceline.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

If your including your car rental in your $100 a day budget, that would be pretty hard. BUT, if you go with a crappy car like a geo metro ( no offense to you Geo Metro owners) and if you like to do nothing but sit on the beach and drink, you could do it. Luckily, in maui most of the cool things to do are pretty much free as they just involve admiring the beauty.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Since it sounds like you have a Costco card, check the prices at Costco.com under their travel section for rental car rates. Plug in one of their coupon codes as well. We always go with Alamo even though we've heard about problems with cockroaches and long lines. Never had a cockroach and really the line goes pretty fast. It will go even faster if one of you dashes off the shuttle and into the line and the other watches the luggage. $100/day x 2 sounds very doable. This family of 4 doesn't spend nearly that much but then again, we don't drink alcohol with young kids to supervise. Hey if you budget that much and you have leftover, you can go shopping for goodies on your last day and feel really good about it. We usually make our own breakfast and lunches (while staying in a condo) and then slurge a little on dinner. Boy, I hate paying big bucks for breakfast when all I really need is a little bowl of cereal.

California
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

ha ha tropix, you're funny

i wouldn't guarantee the free embassy breakfast. i don't think it's offered free to everyone. when we were there last month, we saw a couple being turned away saying it wasn't included in their package. just a heads up.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui virgin has a question ;-)

Islands-Listen to me. 1st off go & buy the book "Maui Revealed", worth it''s weight in gold. 2nd some MUST DO's are as follows...

1. Helicopter tour-Alexair has a 20 min flight for less than $100 pp

2.Do a Luau! Cheap ones are @ Hyatt & Lahaina Shores. Great one is Feast @ Lele but is over $100 pp (but worth it).

3. Rent snorkel gear-Boss Frogs has it for around $10.00 per week but when you get there the $10.00 stuff is lousy & the bait & switch is for $30.00 pp per week yet worth it.

4. Do a sunset booze cruise for $45.00 pp. The boat Kaulana is very good!

5.Road to Hana is free (gas), just pick up a lunch box to go that morning in the hippie town where you start out (forget the name)

6. You are correct-Costco is your friend!!

7. I'll call Spago @ The Four Seasons & tell Wofgang Puck you won't be coming but please, for the love of God spend some coin on din-din (dinner). Going to Maui & not spending $$ is like going to Disney World & not buying a park hopper ticket, going to Italy & not drinking wine, going to a nascar race & not doing....whatever the hell they do @ nascar races, I don't know I've never been to a nascar race & don't care to go I'm from NJ where nascar is as important as watching grass grow but you get my drift!