We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did anyone else hear this????

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Did anyone else hear this????

My husband heard on the news that Hawaii will be having record low temps this winter....that would really suck in January!! Did anyone else hear this or any locals?? Or did he just say that to be funny & get me stressing? :-)

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

no, didn't hear that. but my hubby did chop alot of firewood for our wood-burning stove. we live at 1500', and it gets nippy here in jan. febr., march, just during early morning hours.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

On the morning news today I heard that because of a mild El Niño the mainland should have a milder than usual winter, but probably not as mild as last year. They also said that he same El Niño could create lower average low temps and dryer than average conditions here. I certainly did not hear anyone predicting "record lows."

But no one can predict the temps in January today. Even in years when we are having a hotter winter you could be here on the one week out of the year we are having Kona storms or a freak cold front move in, dropping the temps into the lwo 70's! Gasp!

I assure you that no matter how "cold" it gets, it will be nicer than the weather in Spokane in January.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

kaiwahine, those are called "two-quilt-nights" up here in kalae. you know that song "local boys will keep you warm, in the coldest night.."

Kauai & Mainland
Level Contributor
954 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

Ditto, "record low's and high's" can mean just slightly above or below normal temps in Hawaii. When your temperature range only varies by a few degrees year round, and the long term averages are also really tightly knit, it's not hard to break a "record."

For example some temps in the 90's this/last year I believe were records on some of the islands. But it was nothing like breaking a record on the mainland, where you're usually talking about extreme weather one way or the other (110+ or -10 below, etc).

Record cold might mean, as noted, just the low 70's or high 60's. Nothing to bring a winter coat for, LOL. Though I'm sure higher elevations will be a bit chillier.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

So, you are believing a weather forecast for 3 months time?

I looked out of the window today, it was POURING with rain.

In from of me, on the PC, was the weather forecast, it was meant to be partly cloudy, dry! This was a forecast of just a few hours old.

maui
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

it can get so cold here in the winter that at times I wear a long sleeve t-shirt!! chilly willy was a bear. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PA
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

Don't worry about forecasts. Weathermen haven't been correct here for the past 3 weekends. They don't have a clue.

8. Re: Did anyone else hear this????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 23:18