We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxis

Are there taxi's in Lahaina to take you from town to the resorts?

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis

Yes there are taxis, but do not use them... If you are going to Maui I would highly recommend renting a car. The taxis are way too pricey IMO. The driving in Maui is not bad at all. If you choose not to rent a car, but want to go to Lahaina to shop most resorts have shuttles that come and take you to Lahaina. The shuttles run about once an hour and usually only cost a couple of dollars.

rtb
Illinois
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis

Taxis are expensive. But much cheaper than a DUI. The Maui police often set up roadblocks checking all cars for this and seat belt violations.

Lahaina, Hawaii
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis

I would highly recommend seeking a rental car. Taxis are inherently expensive here on Maui, and there are some rather cultured cab drivers. On a recent trip, we decided against leaving our car in the airport parking lot (we live on Maui) because of the expense of doing so, and needless to say, the cab ride home was interesting. We found it humorous, since we were local and came to expect some antics, but visitors could find the behavior of our particular driver disturbing/offensive.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis

I've been on Maui for a long time. Even though it seems that a taxi is expensive, if you are staying here on Maui for a week or more, the cost of renting a car that you do not need everyday is much more expensive. Suggest that you consider taking a taxi from the airport to your hotel or condo. Rent a car only if you are planning to do a lot of sightseeing, and only for those days that you need it. Mahalo.