We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently planning my Hawaii honeymoon and I have a quick question. We're staying at the Westin Maui on the west coast and we're planning on going to the Road to Hana one day during our trip...this will most likely be the only time that we go to eastern Maui. We heard that Mama's Fish House is a must and I'm just trying to figure out how to incorporate it as a stop during our Road to Hana trip.

Do you think it's doable to make it a stop for dinner on our way back from Hana, or will we be tired from the long day?

Also, for those of you who travel from the west shore to do a day trip to Hana, how long does the trip typically last from leaving to the hotel to returning? I know that the trip is more about the journey, but I'm just curious about the ballpark we should expect.

Thanks in advance!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

I would plan on doing Mama's on your way back - it would be a perfect ending! You may be tired, but what a way to relax. I haven't done the road to Hana yet, but I have eaten at Mama's & you'll want to relax & enjoy it.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
478 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

Well, for a great meal on a honeymoon, I would prefer to do Mama's on a day other than one in which you also went to Hana. That is a long twisting trip with lots of stops, and I'd hate to add the pressure of a reservation "deadline", which might take away some of the enjoyment from both activities.

You could do Mama's after a more relaxed trip to Upcountry Maui, and some time spent at Ho'okipa, watching the windsurfing there.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

We've done RTH three times. We leave near dawn and don't get back to the condo on the west side until after dark. We hit all the stops and make the most of the day on RTH.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

The RTH is a 10 or 12 hour day from West Maui...I was hot,sweaty and tired by the time we got back. We did very little hiking just took in the views.

Mama's a a gorgeous place and I'd advise saving it for a lunch or dinner before your return flight...perfect send off!

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

We did our meal at Mama's after The Road to Hana and was the perfect ending to a fantastic day! Make reservations in advance, you can book on opentable. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

I wouldn't want to go to Mama's after a journey to Hana. After 12 hours on the road, you probably would like to get back to your lodging. Mama's by no means is a must but is a wonderful place to have a nice relaxing meal on a honeymoon. Make the most of it. Go perhaps the day you leave, it's close to the airport. A departing lunch or dinner.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

I also would not do Mama's on the way back.

Spend as much time on Road to Hana as you can.

You can go to Mama's a different day. Perhaps if you visit Paia one day.

Or kind of do Road to Hana on two days.

I've been on Road to Hana 3 times. Always ran out of time and had to leave something out.

If I had a week on Maui, I would go to Paia, Hookipa Beach Park, Twin Falls & Garden of Eden one day. Then stop at Mama's. You could also include Iao Valley on the way. It's kind of on the way.

That would free up a lot of time for the long journey to Hana & beyond on a second day.

I've never been to Garden of Eden. Skipped it to be able to go beyond Hana to Ohe'o Gulch & Pipiwai Trail.

Only had time to go to the first waterfall on the trail because we ran out of time.

My niece went to Garden of Eden. She said she & her boyfriend (now husband) liked it so much they spent 2-3 hours there. They only made it as far as Hana later that day, but ran out of time & did not make it past Hana.

Go to the Maui forum. Read the Top Questions.

Click on the ones for Road to Hana.

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

Thanks for the advice everyone! Looks like there are mixed opinions about this :)

Honestly, we probably won't have time to do it on another day, and our flight out is early in the morning. Do you need to be dressed up nicely for Mama's or is shorts/tshirt fine?

We're staying at the Westin Maui on the west coast...assuming we leave for Hana around 6:30-7ish (if that's early enough?), what time would you think would be appropriate for a Mama's reservation? 7pm? Later/earlier?

On a side note, I've read that some people tend to just drive straight through the road to hana and then start at Hana/7 sacred pools and work their way back...is that a good idea?

Thanks again!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

First - Mama's is not a must. It's an excellent restaurant with a great view -- on an island that has many excellent restaurants with great views. And no sunset at Mama's - wrong side of the island. We can recommend numerous excellent restaurants on West Maui. And BTW Mama'$ is ridiculou$ly expen$ive. I certainly would not want to drop a wad there after being on the Road to Hana for the whole day. Not to mention what your tummy might think.

If you must go to Mama's - you probably will have other activities in that neck of the woods, including your return to the airport. I think that lunch is better than dinner, and with the sun up - you can see what you are looking at.

I don't know how much Mama's pays their promotional folk - but it's not enough for all the hype the place gets.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mama's Fish House During Road To Hana

There may be mixed opinions about Mama's after RTH, but you would do well do consider who gave the idea a thumb's up; one who has never driven the RTH, and another whose apparent primary objectives for the day were a stop for coconut ice cream, and to make sure she made it to Mama's.