We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paia - worth the trip?

Which Paia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paia - worth the trip?

Since hearing about Paia I've had my heart set on going...we've biked through with the Haleakala bike tour and driven through with the Road to Hana tour, but I'd love to go spend some actual time in this little town.

We do not have a rental car, so we'd either have to take the bus (4 hours or so) or rent a car....not sure if it's worth the trip?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

I love Paia but I won't spend that much time on a bus or rent a car just to go there!!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

Rent a car for your entire stay!! You'll miss SO much without. Public transport is minimal, to say the least, and cabs/tours will be expensive relative to a car rental. How are you getting to your lodgings and back to the airport?

Try www.hawaiiacarrental.com

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,560 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

definitely rent a car. there is much to do and for the price, well, worth it. paia is worth visiting for sure. milagros for fish tacos, and sit on the side walk and people watch. there is a great healthy market there, and we stocked up on munchies there. i loved paia...

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

i agree with the others. definitely rent a car if possible. paia is one of our favorite places on maui. some really good restaurants and shops. somewhat hippie type vibe.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

Paia itself is usually just a few hours for us. Seafood pasta at Paia Fish Market with Ono Gelato for dessert, plus some walking around/shopping. We usually combine it with a day upcountry.

And, like the others, I recommend having a car on Maui. It's a completely different vacation from just staying at your resort.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

If you rent a car then make it a day, head UpCountry, from Paia through Makawao to Kula. Visit the churches, art galleries, shops, winery and Lavender farm.

Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

You will only be able to enjoy 5% of the island experience with no vehicle. IMHO the most exciting thing to do is the explore all of the islands hidden treasures on your own at your own pace.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

We love Paia that we go there multiple times throught out our stay.

I too vote for car rental

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

Definitely not worth it if you have to spend several hours on a bus to get there and back! But please do rent a car for a couple of days at least, and see what Maui has to offer beyond your hotel. Then you can make it a stop on your explorations.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paia - worth the trip?

Ugh my last message got deleted.

We will look into renting for a couple of days....we're on a really tight budget so we can't afford to rent the entire time we're here. My company has sent us on this trip (a real vacation, not a seminar or anything) so our airport transfers are taken care of.....

thanks everyone!