We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on Paia.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on Paia.

This cute town is under siege I am afraid, We recently stayed on the North Shore and thought this would be a great town to shop and go out to eat. The problem is gridlock. Parking is impossible and the lines outside all the restaurants were so discouraging we just kept going.

I think if you got there before noon or after 5PM it could be nice. My only memory of Paia is....LET ME OUTTA HERE> sorry to say.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

our last trip to Maui we got a parking spot right in front of our lunch destination Flatbread Pizza, the odds of that happening again...slim, very slim.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

I hear you. We definitely pick our time when to go. I don't know for sure, but most places don't take reservations. The line is usually out the door for Paia Fish Market.

We seem to luck out for parking. I have had to park on Baldwin Ave. past the Post Office.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

I commented on your other one! You posted twice!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

We usually drive right through as well.. It is very busy.

antioch
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

I wonder if the over crowding in Paia would be a good opportunity for some enterprising restaurants/shops to open up in Makawao, only 10-12 minutes away and take advantage of peoples frustration with Paia

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

But you still need to get to Baldwin Avenue to drive up to Makawao. And honestly, the traffic light is the longest light I have ever experienced anywhere in the world! Even as a pedestrian, wow, you can wait a looooong time there for it to cycle.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

You can also get to makawao via Haleakala Highway if you don't want to get stuck in Paia.

Crazy how busy it is these days...seems like I remember it being quieter 15 years ago...

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

Your right unfortunately it is like that which is why we usually only go for one day. Eat at Flatbread and check out Maui Hands and Maui Crafts Guild.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
424 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

My experience was the same in January. I really wanted to check out Paia, but all the lots were full and we had friends following us in their vehicle, making it that much more complicated/difficult. Hoping May will be a little easier to find a place to park & enjoy the town.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on Paia.

We were there the other day, had no trouble parking in the lot. The Fish Market had a line out the door, but wandering and browsing was fine - it did not feel too crowded. I would say we arrived around 2. When we left at 4 there were many spots in the lot.

The drive down Baldwin Ave from Makawao was fine as well, no traffic. I guess we got lucky.

DH and I trying to figure how we can just stay here - who wants to open a restaurant in Makawao with us? Take the overflow from Paia.

Get answers to your questions about Paia