We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Budget Accomodations

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Budget Accomodations

I'm considering my first visit to Maui in the Jan. to April time frame 2011... probably 2 weeks sandwiched w/ the Big Island in the middle volunteering at a Puna farm (in and out of Hilo). Anyways I am used to accomodations between $60 to 100/night like Manago Hotel, My Island B&B, Kamuela Inn. Are there equivilent accomodations in Maui (seems more expensive over there)? Probably I want to be centrally located but maybe a 4 day 3 night trip to Hana. I've already read about Maui hostels and some of the reviews scare me off (dirty and noisy). I'm open to renting a room or cottage if there's adequate reviews of reliability. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Mahalo, TheodoreJay

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
764 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

Your best bet for something close to $100/night will be in Kihei, most likely the north end, or Ma'alaea, you can get condos here for about $100. Unfortunetly, the time frame you're looking at is whale season. Everything is more expensive during this time. You can still get good deals and not everyone raises their rates, but you'll probably have to do a lot of searching. A good place to start your search is using the photos on wizardpub.com. I don't pay much attention to the reviews (I think they can be too harsh on a lot of good places and not quite on for others, it's an example of how everyones different , right? :)) but the photos and links are a good start for someone new to the island. VRBO is also great place to look. Most require a 3-5 nights stay. If you're not requiring a pool, there are some nice properties here that are worth a look. Good luck!

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

We stayed at the Maui Sunset in Sept 09. We to were scared by the reviews from other resorts as well as the Maui Sunset. But they had some very positive ones. For the money I don't think you can beat it. We spent $220 / night for a 2bdrm / 2bath unit for 7 nights. I will suggest you get one of the renovated units, which cost an additional $100 for the week. They are a more open layout and usually the furniture is updated, with new appl, air conditioning units, etc. We went into a few they were working on and they were very, very nice. We didn't get a renovated unit (wish we would have) so our unit had an old feel and the decor outdated, but it worked ok for us. We had a top floor unit (recommend top floor they have elevators and they are not crowded) and the sunset view was awesome. It is named right......Maui Sunset. About an hour before sunset people bring their blankets, coolers and some even cook out at the edge of the Maui Sunset close to the beach area. Great people watching !!!!!

It's an older style resort, but very quite, a nice pool, tennis courts, has an activities desk, putting green, Grills and the grounds are beautiful (grass is cut like a golf green). It's an ocean front resort, but you can't swim at their beach because of the seaweed. Didn't bother us much because we weren't planning on hanging out at the resort much or swimming in the ocean.

Here is their web page. You can reserve directly from the Resort or google to rent directly from the owners.

http://www.mauisunset.com/gallery.html

It not the Ritz Carlton, but its a nice place to stay for the money.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

As other's have said, N Kihei is not only centrally located, but it's is where some of the least expensive options exist on island. We like the Luana Kai, just a few blocks north of the Maui Sunset that cancuncrew mentioned. Though I've not stayed at the MS, I have toured the grounds and peeked inside a couple of ground floor untis and I'd say these two properties are comparable. I've seen 1 br units on vrbo for under $100/nt at both places.

www.luanakai.com

Another option, that can be even less expensive is the Maui Lu, just north and across the street from the Luana Kai.

astonhotels.com/aston/propertySpecials.do…

Good luck!!

Edited: 30 July 2010, 19:41
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

Thanks for the suggestions so far I will look into condo possibilities for Kehei which makes sense....there's a couple of beaches I want to check out close to there. Looks like after April 15th is when rates go down. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated Aloha, TheodoreJay

Edited: 30 July 2010, 21:39
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
154 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

There's CraigsList Maui - may find some gems tucked there in the price range you're looking for in the winter season. Especially since you are looking so far in advance, you may really find a fabulous gem.

A friend and I traveled over to Kona on BI via a rental posted on CL. It was a pretty good deal.

Denver used to be my home before Maui... I love it in the spring/early summer.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

There are some others in the Kahana area around $100, it's a little further drive but very nice area.

chasenrainbows.com/properties/pohailani.php

This is one that overs studio condos

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

Here is one of the most affordable places we have stayed at in the Kihei area and it was very nice:

http://www.maui.net/~tcroly/rates.htm

Several years ago, I did find a simple place to stay in Hana, but it wasn't the greatest . . . a bit tired I would say, but only about $75 a night. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Good luck! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

Oh - this looks pretty good - very affordable for Hana:

http://www.hana-maui.com/hph.studio.html

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,482 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

The Days Inn in South Kihei had rooms listed for $72. Great beach, close to restaurants.

Further up Kihei road is the Maui Lu, rooms started at $85

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
432 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Budget Accomodations

"There's CraigsList Maui - may find some gems tucked there in the price range you're looking for..."

Thanks, Makalani. Took a quick look at the lodging opportunities and saw some properties in West Maui that we recognized, including the property we usually stay at.

Get answers to your questions about Wailuku
More Wailuku Topics