We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plane trip

Which Kaunakakai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Plane trip

Can anyone tell me if you can book a plane trip and tour toKalaupapa. I just saw some prices and they were very scary. Is there a tour outfit or something like that. No the mule ride can not do. I have a terrible fear of heights and walking is out of the question because he has a bad knee. Please help in any way you can.

Molokai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plane trip

yes, it is very expensive, but unfortunately pacific wings is the only one flying down. we have petitioned to other airlines to start this service to no avail. this keeps people like yourself from a kalaupapa visit. but even the view from above is a good experience of this special place.

MA
Level Contributor
112 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plane trip

I am looking for the same thing as a day trip from Maui. We'd like to fly in and out on the same day and do the Damien tour. Not interested in mule ride or hiking. The ferry won't get us where we need to go without the hike or mule ride - correct? (And the ferry doesn't arrive early enough to do that anyway from what I understand). I was really looking forward to this (we'll be on Maui in July 2010) after learning the history of this amazing place. I'm so disappointed that we can't do this.

Are there any alternatives? We cannot afford to spend an overnight on Molokai due to other activities planned and expense (we are on a timeshare exchange, so all nights are esentially paid for). Any suggestions??

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plane trip

Hi,

We are going to Maui in October 2010 and also wanted to go to Molikai and were interested in the Mule Ride. You are correct though that the ferry doesn't get you there in time and I have tried to look for airfare but when I put in the date it says not available. I am guessing that you can't book this far ahead. Could someone tell me approx what the cost of the airfair is. We have the same problem our condo in Maui is already paid for so don't really want to stay overnight in Molikai. Does anyone know what the tour is like that you take the ferry over and then have the land tour?

Alberta Travelbug

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plane trip

Check out the online brochure from Molokai Outdoors: molokai-outdoors.com/activities/brochure-fac… It is more up to date than their website.

For the Damien Tour, they may be able to help you out on the rates. I've been meaning to contact them myself as their brochure lists a price of $110 for the round trip from the topside and $60 to fly up (hike down/fly up).

Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plane trip

Thanks alot for this info. I just checked out the online book and I will try and contact them soon. The $110.00 per person is much better than what I was looking at before. Wendy

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plane trip

Good luck Wendy. I got an email back from them today saying their hike/fly package is 'comparable to the mule trip'. That would be a lot more than the $60 they have posted in the PDF.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plane trip

One word of warning, the little puddle jumpers Pacific Wings uses will give you a ride you won't soon forget. Lets put it this way when your on a flight with a contractor who looks like he played center on his high school football team and he turns white. Enough said. But they fly along the backside of the island and you get some beautiful views of the Molokai cliffs. And don't be surprised if your pilot looks like he graduated high school last year and he looks like he just got out of bed 5 minutes before he got there. Ours did. But we did survive. And the people of Molokai, and I mean all we met are the friendliest we have met in the islands and frankly anywhere.

Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plane trip

Wow, I think I would have to keep my eyes closed but I have heard so much about how beautiful it is that I may reconsider. I still have not had an email back, other than the standard one saying they got mine but there is a toll free number to call so I quess that will be the way to go when my schedule premits a few minutes to talk to them. You have done this trip so maybe you can tell me how long you were gone. Is it a full day, part of a day or a few hours. Many thanks. Wendy

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plane trip

Wendy- I received an email back from Clare at Molokai Outdoors. The flying package from Molokai's main airport down to the airfield at Kalaupapa is $217.29. She didn't specify if this includes the tour/permit to enter the park. Apparently they give no discount if you hike down/fly up. If that rate doesn't include the tour add on about $55 more.

As for flying to Molokai, you should not be scared off. I'm a student pilot and wouldn't put my wife on a flight I did not feel comfortable with. Pacific Wings and Mokulele Express fly the Cessna Caravan to the island. This plane is very stable and is very capable. To be honest, I just booked a flight on one from Kona to Molokai this evening. Island Air flies larger, twin-engine Dash 8 aircraft but they have reduced their flights to the island lately. We've flown these a few times and have had no problems flying during the day in summer with good weather conditions. Also remember that commercial airline pilots in FAA part 121 operations have flown thousands of hours to get to the point where they are flying commercially. Having a plane go down is PR death so companies are not going to jeopardize their business especially with the number of out of work pilots there are right now.

Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plane trip

Thanks alot for the info. I am still going to try and phone to get more info. If the plane trip does not include the tour it sure seems high priced. Wendy

Get answers to your questions about Kaunakakai
Recent Conversations