We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Camarillo...
3 posts
Save Topic
Ewa Beach or Hauula?

My family with 4 teenagers will be traveling to Oahu, Hi and I was wondering if Ewa Beach or Hauula would the best place to stay for the week?

17 replies to this topic
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Neither one is good for teens. They are both a little out of the way. Ewa Beach is a little closer to Honolulu, which is where all of the nightlife takes place. Hau'ula is nicer but even more isolated, as it is on the windward side heading up to the north shore.

How old are the teens and what do they like to do? When are you going? Your choices are a little different...not sure how anyone would come up with a choice between those two. Are they driven by cost? Waikiki is your best bet for teens. If you're dead set against Waikiki, Kailua is a better choice.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Aloha!

Haaula is a much better place to stay. Ewa Beach is more of a residential area, crowded and dont be fooled by the word beach. Most tourist would not go to this part of the island. Haaula is on the North/ east side of the island and is more of what you think Hawaii to be. Why ae you choosing these two areas? Let me kow y our plans, be happy to help. Eric

Camarillo...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

We are choosing between these two places because they are where we can found rental houses on the beach. We are planning on going in August to Diamond Head Park, Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor, Wiamea Falls, etc.. to name a few. We know that no matter where we stay we will have to drive to either side of the island to do all that we want to do. We like to hike, snorkel and boogie board. Our kids have never been to Hawaii, so they will be happy no matter where we go. We don't want too many crowds, but want to be close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc...

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Hauula is much more vacation like. I think in the two years I lived on island, only once did I have reason to go to Ewa.

Neither will serve this need: ", but want to be close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc..."

Personally, I would rent a house in Kailua...but of course I am partial.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Like Kailuamom said have you looked in Kailua?

What about the North Shore which will have great swimming conditions in august.

Lots of rentals on VRBO for both Kailua and North Shore. Here's one in Waimea Bay area not sure if it is on the beach but I think it's very close it's a 2 bedroom and cheap and as a bonus it's a legal rental.

www.vrbo.com/73249

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,185 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Of your two choices I would take the Hauula one.

It is close to PCC & North Shore.

Ewa Beach may be a little closer to Honolulu/Waikiki, but traffic on H-1 and Ft. Weaver Road in the area can be horrible. So the driving time is about the same.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

If those are the two choices you are set upon.....

Then, Hauula, hands down.

1. The weather in Hauula will be near perfect in August. Sunny (scattered clouds), warm (not hot) days, very little rain, pleasant winds, beyond belief views. Ewa is mutha hot in late summer, nominal winds, humid, view can be awesome (down coastline to Honolulu), or not much.

2. Some of the very finest beaches in Hawaii are in the Hauula area. Incredible strands, backed by ironwood trees and grass, with great panoramas, wonderful beach parks (with facilities), my favorite beach in the islands (Kokololio), and one of the great body surfing breaks in the world (Pounders near PCC.

Ewa Beach is narrow to almost non-existent in some places, Mostly reef and rock near off-shore, with scattered sand pockets, so the recreational potentials are limited. There are only very limited park facilities in the vicinity. There are some good surf breaks, but because they are over rather shallow coral, only intermediate and above body boarders, and expert bodysurfers should be out. No comparison with upper Windward Coast.

3. Hauula has a really neat large grocery (Tamura's), which is the most "local" on the island; along with a Foodland in Laie a couple miles up the road. Although Ewa Beach Shopping Center is somewhat limited, there are tons of neighborhood and big box stores within a few miles.

5. Apart from the multitude of shrimp trucks, there are maybe just a dozen restaurants or so within eight miles of Hauula, ranging from plate lunch joints and McDs up to fine dining at the Turtle Bay Resort. You should check-out Crouching Lion Inn in Kaaawa, and Hukilau Cafe in Laie; both pretty famous and long-time Oahu eateries.

As with shopping, there are a few pplaces in Ewa Beach, pretty much fast food and plate lunch, but there are lots of places in Waipahu and Kapolei maybe a ten minute drive.

However, I gots to agree with the prior posters, that it sounds like your alternatives are kinda isolated. Check out Kailua, a suburban setting.

Edited: 23 February 2011, 00:53
Camarillo...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

Do you have any recommendations?

9. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 21:03

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ewa Beach or Hauula?

As UNCMOM suggests, look at VRBO. Lots of options.

Reply to: Ewa Beach or Hauula?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ewa Beach