We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EWA beach comments

Philadelphia...
12 posts
EWA beach comments

Hello,

My husband and I are going back our 2nd time to Hawaii, but it will be my parents first. My dad is not big on large hotels so we figured lets rent a house on the beach. We found a house in Ewa, but have read mixed reviews on the area. The price is right and like I mentioned it's right on the beach. I know traffic can be bad, but what are the times? is there a lot of crime? I just want my mom and dad to have a great time. Any comments would be great. thanks

32 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
27,471 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: EWA beach comments

I don't think you would be happy there. There are some small hotels in Waikiki, or look at houses on the North Shore or areas over there. Ewa is probably not where you want to stay.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
53,585 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: EWA beach comments

I don't think any of the houses are actuallu legal vacationrentals. This are is heavy with residents. The beaches aren't all that great and there is nothing around there that would be of interest to tourists. Unless you plan on leaving ever day after 8:00 am and not come back until after 6:00pm to avoid traffic you will spending a lot of time in the car.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: EWA beach comments

I agree, Ewa Beach is not a good idea.

When are you planning to visit? How long will you stay? What is your nightly accommodation budget?

Philadelphia...
12 posts
4. Re: EWA beach comments

Going in oct and staying for 6 nights. 250-300. It's really hard to find a rental on the beach that is 1st or 2nd floor or a house for that amount. Staying away from the large hotels.

thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: EWA beach comments

There are some really nice low rise/small hotels in Waikiki to choose from. Lots of aloha spirit! But they will be 2-4 easy blocks from the beach.

The one exception that I can think of is the Waikiki Shore. It's right on the beach. You can rent through vrbo (private owners) or through Aston (and I think Castle too).

If you decide against Ewa Beach (which you should) let us know and suggestions will be forthcoming!

BTW, is the $250-300 budget for all four of you, in total, or is that per couple?

Philadelphia...
12 posts
6. Re: EWA beach comments

We were trying to get something where we could all stay as a family, so all 4. how do you feel about north shore?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: EWA beach comments

If the North Shore is of interest, have a look at Keiki Beach Bungalows.

http://www.keikibeach.com/

They have 2brm units that are within your budget. You'll need a car.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
8. Re: EWA beach comments

If the rate per night is decent, nothing wrong with Ewa Beach if you are right on the beach.

Others have already mentioned the negatives & I agree with them. Ewa Beach would not be for me.

I like Kailua/Lanikai area and North Shore if you don't stay in Waikiki. But be prepared to pay more.

It's your budget. It's you trip. Do you want to get out & see more things more than you want to just veg? Or the opposite?

While I am kind of like your dad & don't really like large hotels, I spend most of the time getting out & seeing the island. I return to the hotel late after being out all day. So lodging is not that important to me.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 02:10
Philadelphia...
12 posts
9. Re: EWA beach comments

we hav read and read through the comments. We know to leave after 830 9 and come home before 3 or after 630 to avoid the high traffic time. It kind of sounds like philadelphia. I have looked through numerous pictures and don't think the beach looks that bad where were staying, however we will be traveling around to see other sites. It's just nice to have a house on the beach to relax at night and to wake up in the morning too. I looked through numerous other sites and found nothing on the beach in our price range with A/C in two bedrooms. My only concern now for Ewa beach since the traffic part is ok with us is safety and run down homes. Our VRBO listing says we're the last beach front home on the southwestern shores of Oahu. Don't know if that makes a difference where we are in the neighborhood. I read in some post that the area was unsafe and run down. Other people say it is not unsafe and yes some homes don't look as nice as others but the locals are really friendly. I know to lock up our car and home etc, but how unsafe is it. I would like to sit out at night and the porch. Some of the post have me thinking it's like some of the bad parts here in Philadelphia.

10. Re: EWA beach comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 15:52

Reply to: EWA beach comments
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ewa Beach