We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Hi All,

I'm possibly taking a travel assignment and the job will be in the new Queens Medical Center in Ewa Beach. I am looking at places to stay and wondering what might be the best. Obviously, I want to spend time exploring the Island and am looking forward to hanging out in Honolulu (I'm coming from Chicago, city life is great!)

I wonder if it's smarter to stay in Ewa Beach and plan to use my bicycle (I hear traffic's pretty bad-and that is probably the understatement of the year!) to get around or even buy a scooter for the 3-4 months I'm there.

Can I ride to Honolulu? Is it possible to use a scooter? What's the terrain like? (I just realized that by car it's about 22 miles one way. That's sort of a long commute without a car.)

Lastly, I'll be working nights, so I'll have to report to the hospital at 7pm and will get out around 730 am. Should I consider doing a reverse commute via scooter? I won't even have a car, more than likely.

Thanks, I need your help. My head is spinning right now.

17 replies to this topic
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

It is dangerous driving a scooter in Honolulu.

You cannot drive one on the freeways.

You are better off fining lodging close to the medical center & close to a bus route.

You can easily take the bus between the medical center and Honolulu/Waikiki.

Rent a car once in awhile to get around the island.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Do you think it is unrealistic to take the bus from Honolulu to work (I have to go in at 7pm, and won't be able to handle long commute times on consecutive 12 hour shifts!) Thank you so much for your response.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,046 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

"You are better off fining lodging close to the medical center & close to a bus route."

You are better off finding lodging close to the medical center & close to a bus route.

Using the Google Transit on The Bus site, it takes more than 1 1/2 hours by bus from Waikiki to Ewa Beach..

http://thebus.org/

Start Address: 2300 Kuhio Ave (I use it as a sample as it is on the main bus route & in the center of Waikiki)

Destination: Ewa Beach (you can put in the address of the medical center instead)

10/3 5:00pm leave

Click on: Get directions

Then just click on the options.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Thank you. I should have just listened to your advice the first time. I really do appreciate it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,259 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Anita ... have a heart-to-heart with your supervisor, personnel ... or whomever the appropriate person might be. Let them advise you. Ask them the questions you are asking us (except dump the scooter idea).

Is this a short-term stint? Is that what you are saying?

Familiarize yourself with the bus system. Commuters use it all the time, so see what your options might be.

It sounds like you want to live in Honolulu ... or at least spend time there. And Honolulu may be where you find the most options for apartments or condos. Don't sign on to any long-term leases until you really know the lay of the land. I'm thinking that the commute during those hours will be nasty if you live in Honolulu. Maybe there are some good options in between!

Kapolei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

When I see people on scooters I wonder how they've managed to live this far on Oahu...there are just too many cars on the road to make scooters safe enough. I wouldn't touch one.

As others have suggested, the bus will be key for you (and potentially the rail system that's being built now, but that's a ways off still) but if I was working in Ewa Beach I'd get housing as close to your job as possible since you don't have a car. I'd rather rely on the bus, uber, or car rentals for fun times and weekends and make my commute to work as easy as possible.

So many people rely on the bus here, and it's a very good system, but it can easily add hours onto your round trip commute if you're far away and/or require transfers from one bus to another and/or have to walk a bit for a bus stop.

Maybe find a 6 month lease near your job and that gives you time to get to know the areas and island and see if you want to stay or move some place else after that.

Either way, welcome to Hawaii :) I'm from Chicago area too, you're world is about to get a lot better!

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

If you'll be too tired to deal with a bus commute, you'll definitely be too tired to bike. As for scooters, NO. Research all the accidents.

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will contact the hospital and see what their advice is, that is a good idea for sure. Didn't realize how dangerous scooters were around there, so I'll be less cavalier in that decision! I'm anxious but excited.

One more silly question-and I'm sure it has a million answers depending on variables, but to be in a safe area, maybe even somewhat close to a beach, can anyone give me a ball park estimate on what I might expect to pay for an apartment? I'm seeing ads on Craigslist that are as low as 1200 a month and the photos make them look like resorts (of course they do, that's what the photos are for!) Thanks again.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Rent will depend largely on location. I wouldn't rent anything through Craigslist, too many con's for comfort for me. Get a good real estate agent, specializing in rentals. That is what we did when we first moved to Oahu. 1200.00 is on the low end, that is what we paid 13 yrs. ago for a middle of the road 2 bedroom apt. in Waikiki. 1400.00 will be more like it. Don't forget about utilities. Most everything is paid for except electricity which is very expensive.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Another reason to talk to someone at Queens is that for a short term assignment, someone who works in the hospital may have an extra room/apartment that they rent to fellow employees.

Reply to: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ewa Beach