We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Hi All,

I'm possibly taking a travel assignment and the job will be in the new Queens Medical Center in Ewa Beach. I am looking at places to stay and wondering what might be the best. Obviously, I want to spend time exploring the Island and am looking forward to hanging out in Honolulu (I'm coming from Chicago, city life is great!)

I wonder if it's smarter to stay in Ewa Beach and plan to use my bicycle (I hear traffic's pretty bad-and that is probably the understatement of the year!) to get around or even buy a scooter for the 3-4 months I'm there.

Can I ride to Honolulu? Is it possible to use a scooter? What's the terrain like? (I just realized that by car it's about 22 miles one way. That's sort of a long commute without a car.)

Lastly, I'll be working nights, so I'll have to report to the hospital at 7pm and will get out around 730 am. Should I consider doing a reverse commute via scooter? I won't even have a car, more than likely.

Thanks, I need your help. My head is spinning right now.

17 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
11. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

I completely agree with posts #9 and #10!

Maui
Level Contributor
73,786 posts
18 reviews
12. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

In addition to checking with the hospital, you might contact the medical school at UH for help.

California
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
13. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

If you're working through a registry ... they may have info.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
64 reviews
14. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

I have nothing of value to add aside from saying I am extremely jealous :-)

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
15. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Awww...Well, come with! We can split rent! I'd love to have friend-but I'm pretty sure I'll find some!

Honolulu, Hawaii
1 post
2 reviews
16. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

I catch the E in town and work in Ewa, it takes exactly one hour. I used to commute from Aiea to Ewa on bike and that was cool because it was mainly on a bike path but a longer bike commute would be tiring.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
29,570 posts
17. Re: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?

Tracy, what do you mean by in town? I'm assuming you mean in or near Downtown Honolulu.

I think most visitors ( and including someone who has a six month job position) would want to stay in Waikiki rather than Downtown Honolulu.

For the OP, just an additional note: buses have bicycle racks (use for free) if you want to use your bike on days off to see other parts of the island.

Bicycles are also somewhat dangerous on Oahu. But there are some nice bike paths on the island that are safe.

Reply to: Can I bike/scooter around from Ewa Beach to Honolulu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ewa Beach