We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

Which Kahuku hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

We're headed to TB for a few days, checking in on our 10th anniversary. We want to make dining reservations at one of the hotel restaurants, but aren't sure which. (Due to an awesome spa appointment early in the evening, we don't want to leave and go elsewhere.) Which of the restaurants would be best? I've looked at menus but would like actual opinions. Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

Bump - there are TB fans on here who can advise about the restaurants. Just not me.......

Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

Thanks! :)

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

We liked both the one on the beach (can't remember the name) and the golf course restaurant. You don't have many options at TB unless you drive quite a long way.

Duluth MN
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

The one at the beach is called Ola, I believe. At least it was when we were there a couple years ago.

Lee

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

Olas is right on the sand and good. They have one at the golf course but its nothing special. There is also another fancy one I think

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

We go every year. Our favorite by far is Lei Leis!

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

We went to both Lei Lei's (on the golf course) and Ola's (on the beach) a few days ago. Both were expensive - $45-$50 per person for dinner. Service at both was good as was the food. We preferred the menu choices at Lei Lei's.

Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

Thank you! We've heard the most positive reviews of Lei Lei's, so maybe we'll try that one. :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,536 posts
1,012 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

Too late for the OP's trip, but we have been heading over to TBR from when it was a Hilton, many years ago. We often do 5 nights at TBR and then 5 nights in Waikiki.

The on-property dining options have changed recently, and our September, 2013 trip was the first with the new restaurants.

Here is my overview:

Pa`akai - this venue has a checkered past, and has changed many times over the years. I am still not sure that a determination has been made, as to just what it is. Without going too far back in history, it was known as The Palm Terrace. Besides serving breakfast, the evenings brought about an odd mix of things. There was the a la carte menu (always nice, with well-prepared food on a mid-range menu), and then there was a buffet, that was themed for every night, i.e. Italian one night, seafood another, Mexican, etc.. We never did the buffet, as we just do not enjoy most. However, it seemed to be very popular, and especially for families with children. Then, it became Leonardo's, and Italian restaurant. Do not recall if the buffet was still in operation, but when dining there twice, we found nothing to recommend it, and wished for the old, simple Palm Terrace. Now, it is Pa`akiai, and I still do not think they have found their new identity - yet. The menu sort of resembles the old Palm Terrace's, but there are changes. The wine list is limited (as it was as the Palm Terrace), but if one gets a good server, they can go next door to North Shore Kula Grille for more serious wines - just ask nicely, and be patient). The kitchen at Pa`akai was not up to the task on our dinner, with nothing notable, other than over-cooked fish, and tasteless sides. Maybe there IS hope, but after Leonardo's, I am just not sure. The venue does overlook the pool and the Bay, and some tables have a great view. Sunsets can be lovely, but that will depend on the time of the year. Wish them the best.

North Shore Kula Grille.- This location was once 21 Degrees North, and as such, was the best dining on the North Shore. It is casual +, and stops just short of "fine dining." The menu is similar to the old 21 Degrees, and the wine list, while parred down some, is still the best in the area, by a long stretch. One will find wines, beyond "the usual suspects," and even the stemware is better. In our experience, every server knows the wine list, and understands wine service - not the same with Pa`akai. The menu is more varied, and a Tasting Menu is offered, though I am not sure if that is available every night. Note: check the days of operation, so you will not be blindsided, should you wish to dine on one of the nights they are closed. Kula Grille does a nice translation of the Farm-to-Table concept, and while the old 21 Degrees DID do a lot of local sourcing, Kula Grille takes it to whole new level, with things done extremely well. While we only dined there once (due to days closed), we had been known to dine at 21 Degrees three nights out of say 6. I would do that at Kula Grille - simply the best that the North Shore has to offer. I see that they now are open for breakfast, but I cannot comment on that meal, as it was not available, when we were last there. We give Kula Grille two "thumbs up."

Ola - Right on the beach, but separate from the TBR (in both the location - on property, but not IN the resort building, and also not owned by TBR - chef-driven and owned), the location is lovely. It's casual, by every stretch, and can be extremely good. Had the best Kahuku Corn Chowder of my life there some years back. We have found the kitchen to be a bit uneven, though when they "hit the high notes," they can astound - depends on the dish, and the day. The service is very relaxed (remember, you are on "Island time"), so do not be in a hurry. The wine list has shriveled over the years, and is most made up of "the usual suspects." The stemware is more utilitarian, but remember, you are sitting on the beach, or in an open-air "hut." We always dine one night at Ola, and other than the uneven dishes, have always enjoyed it.

Lei-Lei's Bar and Grill - Once, Lei-Lei's was ONLY a golf shop bar and grill. It was nothing special. That has all changed now. Lei-Lei's now serves three meals a day, and for dinner, has produced some of the best Ahi, that we have found on the North Shore. Their Calamari Steak appetizer is so good, that we will often just do two of those, each, per person, and a bottle of wine. The wine list is limited, but does offer a few surprises, that pair well with the food from the kitchen. I found a Sauvignon Blanc, and a Pinot Noir, that I did not recall seeing on any other TBR wine list. Nice touch! As most dining is on the covered patio (some tables inside, but not many), it is casual -, but the food gets a big ++ from us. In very general terms, the waitstaff is the most friendly, of any of the TBR restaurants. Kula Grille is second, then Ola, and Pa`akai is way, way down the list. Again, we have dined twice at Lei-Lei's on the same trip, and enjoyed it greatly - just very good food, in an extremely relaxed atmosphere, served with true aloha spirit. They are not to be missed, and sunset over the golf course is lovely, though there is no "ocean view."

There are now three new, or newly redone bars/grills, just off the lobby - but food will be limited. Surfer, The Bar, Hang Ten Bar & Grill (poolside) and Lobby Lounge. There is usually live music in/at two, most nights.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,600 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which restaurant at Turtle Bay?

You may wish to have a nice lunch that day in Haleiwa, then you won't need much for dinner. After a great massage, I know my preference would be to prolong the relaxation from the massage by enjoying a bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers in the room.

Get answers to your questions about Kahuku