We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san jose, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

Hi,

I was in Hawaii last week and got stung by a very tiny blue jellyfish at Kailua Peach Park. After doing some research about this jellyfish, I believe it was the Man o' War jellyfish. I really didn't know what was going on, just felt weird like numbing on my wrist and i was the tentacle was still on my wrist. i just washed it away in the ocean. The pain went away after like 45 minutes. I thought it was ok. I didn't know that i have to wash it with vinager and meat tenderizer. After a week now, i have rash on my wrist, no pain but very itchy.

Any advice on this? Should I use the vinager and meat tenderizer now?

Thanks

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,688 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

Try Benadryl cream. It sounds like you might have a little stinger still....if the area swells, or spreads, go to a doctor.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

From http://www.808jellyfish.com/

5. For persistent itching or skin rash, try 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment four

times a day, and one or two 25 milligram diphenhydramine (Benadryl) tablets every

6 hours. These drugs are sold without prescription. Diphenhydramine may cause

drowsiness. Don't drive, swim or surf after taking any medications.

Although formerly considered effective, vinegar is no longer recommended for Portuguese man-of-war stings. In a laboratory experiment, vinegar dousing caused discharge of nematocysts from the larger (P. physalis) man-of-war species. The effect of vinegar on the nematocysts of the smaller species (which has less severe stings) is mixed: vinegar inhibited some, discharged others.

This is if you're sure it's the PMoW

check out the site as well as webmd.com or whatever.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

My sympathies are with you, happyhours. I got stung by one a year ago at Kailua Beach, and was sprayed with vinegar by a handsome lifeguard! :-) I didn't have any rash later, but it put me off going in the water at the beach there. The guard told me that they are more common at Kailua/Lanikai beaches than travel books lead you to believe. We were there for 7 days, and only got in the water twice because of the jelly fish (and a shark sighting nearby.) Still had a great time but I won't stay there again as I've heard of too many people getting stung!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

This is easy. See a doctor. If it's red & itchy, then you've probably got an infection. A travel forum is hardly the place to ask about health problems. Maybe there's a new business opportunity for TA to explore! Sickadvisor - lol - er... sorry.

You could try some Neosporen antibiotic cream, which we find is is great on "reef rash" infections, etc. If it's an allegic reaction to the poison, then a couple of "Telfast" tablets would help. I come up in giant red sores from midgie bites and Telfast stops the reaction for me.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

I'd try benadryl or hydrocortisone cream. You should see/feel some improvement in your symtoms immediately (<2 hours). If you don't notice any improvement you may want to call the doctor/nurse practioner for advice.

I am not a medical person but my kids have been stung once by a man o war and numerous times by scorpions.

Bracebridge, Ontario
Level Contributor
690 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

Sickadvisor.com absolutely hilarious!!!

I can see it now, all the comments about being sick on the boats, food poisoning, etc. Maybe there is a tie in with Webmd or someone.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

I think it's the perfect spot for this question!

1. i'm heading there shortly and will know to keep my eyes out 2. Lots of locals on this site who have probably heard of this many times and are more aware of what to do about it.

Thanks much...now I know to find the attractive lifegurads to help me if I should be so unlucky!!

8. Re: Got Stung By a Blue JellyFish Man o' War , Please Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 05:22