We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

I am aware that some of the beach in Lanikai is only visible during low=tide time of the day. Can anyone tell me if the beach is wide enough to enjoy all day in the Kaelepulu Drive area?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

I can't answer you specific question.

Lanikai Beach is better at low tide & seasonally some of the beach washes away, but there is always some beach at Lanikai.

Lanikai Beach is about 6-7 blocks long. You might have to walk a block or so to the next beach access to find a wide enough beach area depending on when you are there.

There are no facilities at Lanikai Beach so it really isn't an all day kind of beach. That's just my opinion though.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

To the left I believe the answer is no. About 4 houses to the right I think so. However this is not the choicest section of the beach for swimming, for that you will walk about 3-4 blocks down the beach. For sun tanning it is fine though.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,379 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

I meant to add this link. There is a map at the bottom. It shows all the beaches in the area.

kailuavacationrentals.net/BeachTips/index.ht…

Here's a better map of just Lanikai. You can kind of see where the beach juts out a little:

www.lotsafunmaps.com/Oahu/Lanikai_Beach.html

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

I live just around the corner from Lanikai Beach. The Kaelepulu beach path accesses the beach but most of the beachgoers enter further down. You can enter at Kaelepulu and walk via the beach is you want. It's pretty much at the end of the beach. There's no facilities so go with an empty bladder or do like the fish do. Bring your own drinks. Park on Kaelepulu drive and walk across Mokulua to the beach access.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
727 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

I've known for years that the beach ends as you go south, but I never really marked where, so I just drove down and looked.

The wide, soft sand beach pretty much runs from Kaelepulu to Kuailima.

There's a pretty low tide today, so there is currently quite a bit more beach past those locations, but normally, those are near the limits.

Hank

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

Thanks for checking out the beach! That info will be very helpful for many others as well.

7. Re: Beach at Mokulua/ Kaelepulu Drive area (Lanikai)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 05:15