We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua Legal Rentals

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kailua Legal Rentals

I have been reading and researching for a trip in the distant future (year and a half or so) for my family of four. My husband spend a good chunk of his childhood in Kailua, and we all want to see his childhood home. That said, we want to actually stay in Kailua. I have read many posts about legal vs. illegal rental properties in Kailua. I have seen the Nonconforming Use Certificates by TMK list from Department of Planning for the City/County of Honolulu that shows the addresses of all legal rentals. However, the only list I can find is from 2005 and it shows a "NUC Expiration Date" of September 2012 for all the addresses. Does that mean that those addresses on the list will not be legal rentals after that date? Will a new list come out?

This trip will be a huge deal for our little family and I am just trying to make sure I get it right! Any helpful hints, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

PS - kids are two girls who will be 13 and 14 when we travel

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kailua Legal Rentals

I certainly am no expert; however, those with current certificates can renew without an issue (or so I have been told). It's just that they are not currently granting any new ones.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kailua Legal Rentals

1. There have been no new NCU certificates issued since 1990, so there is no need to update a 2005 list as to additional legal places to rent.

Some places "lose" their cerificates due to inactivity or failure to comply with reporting requirements; but it is a very rare occurence as they are quite valuable and therefore maintained by most.

2. The 2012 expiration date is an artificial deadline imposed by the County to force movement on the issue and create the need to complete an overall review of the "legal" industry.

Again, as long as the certificate holders have been using the property as a vacation rental and are in compliance with the regulations, there is no reason to think there will be any changes in the approved roster.

I have not heard a single peep from anybody or any agency on any side of the issue which has expressed a desire to close down the legal operations. The argument is over "illegal" units and whether/how to open the certification process again to new units for the first time in 20 years.

3. A bigger concern when looking so far out may be whether the property is (or will be) for sale or if there are foreclosure issues. A good number of transient rentals in Kailua, as throughout the islands, are experiencing financial problems as a result of the recession and deflation of the real estate market; just like most places in the Western US.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 21:09
Saint Louis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kailua Legal Rentals

Thanks much! I appreciate the guidance! :)

Any suggestions?

Edited: 09 June 2011, 21:40
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kailua Legal Rentals

Try Pat's Kailua Rentals. They all have certificates

www.patskailua.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,960 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kailua Legal Rentals

vrbo.com

6. Re: Kailua Legal Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 04:16