We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

Hi everyone!

Im planning on staying on Big Island by myself for 7 nights and 8 days. I will want to explore parts of the island including Kona, Waimai Valley, Hllo, and Puna.

Im under 25 years old, which means i would have to pay a fee each day when i have the car, which does add up. Also, for those who have gone on road trips, is it easy to drive on the highways? I only got my driving permit just a year ago, so I am a little hesitant about driving on foreign roads.

However, if I join a local tour or a shuttle bus is convenient to get to these places I can avoid the trouble of driving and finding directions myself.

So im wondering what would be the better option for me.. If i can get your opinions that would be really helpful for me

Thanks!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

If you've learned how to drive in Vancouver, then you will have no problems driving the Big Island. Not nearly as crowded as our fair city. Even though you would be an under age driver, it would still be cheaper for you to rent the car, provided you don't go crazy and rent a sports car or jeep. It would also allow you to stop when you wanted to, especially for new drivers you might appreciate that more. You also don't have to put up with crazy weather like we get, so road conditions would be good. Just my opinion, but at your age it was all about the adventure for me. Hey we're Canadian, no fear right! lol

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

Ask your questions on the Island of Hawaii forum.

This is the Kailua forum (Oahu).

LA
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

You can't accomplish what you describe in your wishlist without renting a car.

The bus system on Hawaii is designed for hotel and resort workers as a shuttle and is very inconvenient for tourists. Do not use it in your plans.

You can get a guidebook and it will tell you all about where to do. The driving is easy.

I would chose to stay in Volcano for your extra days, not in Puna.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,320 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

You really do need to have a car on the Big Island (Island of Hawai`i). It's pretty easy to navigate -only a few main roads.

You really should post on the Island of Hawai`i forum. You might get info on places other than the majors to rent a car.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

Oh my... Rent a car , rent a car, rent a car..... Big Island roads/Hwys are some of the easiest to navigate.

There are discount codes / booking codes out there that waive the under 25 surcharge(perhaps others can help,with that)

You will wonder what were you thinking?......when you see how easy it is to get around with a rental car.

Without one......not so much(by a long shot)

6. Re: Rent a car to drive or join a local tour/shuttle bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:42