We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July weather

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
July weather

I know you can't count on weather.com to be 100% accurate, but I have been watching the Kailua weather for July as we plan to spend the first two weeks there in July 2013. It looks like there have been so many cloudy days with 40-60% chance of rain each day. At the same time, Honolulu has been sunny with little or no rain.

While I'd rather be in Kailua with our family (6 adults and 2 babies), I don't want to have to be chasing the sun every day just to avoid gloomy weather. For those of you who have been in Kailua in July, are the weather reports I've been reading accurate and should I look to a different part of Oahu if I want July sunny days?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: July weather

Aloha,

July in Kailua is a great time to visit.

Kailua's weather is not the same as Waimanalo and Kaneohe, her neighbors

The rain will be mostly on the Koolau Mountains.

You will have lasting memories staying in Kailua,

And all good !

Aloha

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July weather

You will welcome a brief rain shower should one come your way.

Just stand on the beach, tilt your head back, and welcome the cool freshness!!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July weather

The windward side of the island is the best place to be in the summer. The days are a couple of degrees cooler than Honolulu and the short infrequent showers are a wecome respite. The 40-60% predictions generally refer to the showers that occer up against the Ko'olau mountains.

There is no need to worry.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July weather

Thanks!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: July weather

Depends on where you are in Kailua. Up towards the mountain range it can rain a lot. It's tropical rainforest country. But down close to the beach you don't see any of that rain. I have been going from Kailua town (raining) to where I live (2 blks of the ocean) dry streets and no rain. It is only a 7 min drive by car.............

This goes for most seasons here except maybe wintertime.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: July weather

Nobody (native, tourist, visitor, kama'aina, mainland transplant) can guarantee a weather forecast here.

Will it rain? Yep, pretty much almost every day, if only for a few minutes. If you keep your windows open all the time, like we do, you'll notice that it rains just about every night. Beautiful tropical rain, gentle and warm---quite lovely. You can actually smell it before you hear or feel it...red dirt/dust stirred up by the rain and wind. It tends to come in sheets. Quite cool.

If there is a storm system coming in all bets are off. It can (and has, IME) rained for many days at a time. It is least likely to happen during the summer months but storm systems can crop up at any time.

Today, it was overcast and windy with some showers. Perfect for me, but maybe not so great for visitors.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 12:34
Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: July weather

Addendum: POURING right now....tradewinds whipping....heavenly.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: July weather

I just wanted too add........

At Honolulu they measure the weather and temperature at the airport which is right close to the water. Where they measure it for Kailua I am not sure but it is probably in the town.

Also many times when we have kona winds, Waikiki is the rainy place and Kailua is the dry place......

For anybody shy of rain I, would suggest Kailua-Kona which probably has less percipitation than any beach town in the state. It seldom rains there........

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: July weather

>>Where they measure it for Kailua I am not sure but it is probably in the town.<<

Ukahl, have you tried Weatherbug.com for local weather reports? The reports are very localized---the data collection site for my location is only a few blocks away from my house.

I have the phone app, too, and it allows you to add multiple locations for free. Great to compare your travel location weather to the (almost always better) weather at home in Hawaii! ;-)

The free app only allows you to set one location at a time on your computer, I think, but you can change that whenever you want.

ww2.weatherbug.com/aff/default.asp…

Edited: 17 July 2012, 21:46
10. Re: July weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:17