We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kailua Groceries

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Kailua Groceries

Where would you recommend purchasing groceries in Kailua? I understand I will be paying more for groceries than on the mainland, but what would be the least expensive place with a good selection? Thank you.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kailua Groceries

Slightly off-topic : Is poke spicy? I really want to eat local specialities when I'm there in November and a lot of it is unfamiliar.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kailua Groceries

Poke can be anywhere from zero heat to quite spicy. Most places will give you samples, and also guide you towards varieties more to your taste.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kailua Groceries

Perfect! I'm pretty excited about the take-out options for eating because I want this to be a casual, relaxing vacation.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kailua Groceries

Adding this for others interested in grocery shopping in Kailua and Honolulu - If you are traveling as a family and will be staying on island for a week or so, recommend you go to the Honolulu Costco to stock up on groceries. It is easy to get to from the airport using H1 and Nimitz Hwy. From there, head into Kailua via Pali hwy. If you like Asian groceries, fresh fish, wide selection of poke, and Asian bento (takeout meals), go to Marukai on Nimitz Hwy a few miles east of the airport or the store by Ward theater in Honolulu. Even if you're not looking for groceries, recommend checking out the store for its huge selection of Japanese bowls, plates and various household knick knacks. My kids and I love going to Marukai because it reminds us of Japan. (note: there is no Marukai in Kailua)

For those with military base access and entitled to commissary privileges, The Marine base in north Kailua can't be beat for affordable groceries. Prices are generally 30-40% lower than civilian grocery stores.

For fresh fruit and vegetables - don't miss the Kailua Farmers Market in the parking garage by Long's every Thursday.

Kapaa, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Kailua Groceries

Just stayed at a BB in Lanikai VRBO.com # 45505. Had all my groceries and wine delivered from a couple different stores, even Costco items. you cant beat it, just fill out what you want and the items will be in your rental when you arrive. www.hawaiihelpinghands.com/services.html Hope this helps ease the stress so you can enjoy your visit to Lanikai.

16. Re: Kailua Groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:18