We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a good place to stay in Kailua town

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Topic
a good place to stay in Kailua town

Aloha. So happy to locate this site..... I am a frequent solo traveler to Hawaii. Will be spending ten days in Oct. in Kailua (I stayed there a week in 2008.). Now looking for a studio, at least something with a separate entrance, that is within walking-distance of Morning Brew, Aloha Salads, the bookstores, and a few restaurants, preferably with a pool. A retired teacher, I'm less interested in the beach activities, but so far everything advertised on TripAdvisor is very near to the beach instead of the town part.

I'm not so picky about the price of a studio but would like to just be near the places mentioned. Can you recommend any studios, or something of the like where I could walk to town?

Thanks very much.... :-)

Stella

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,409 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

Have you looked on VRBO ?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

this looks like it might work and when you google the phone number, it does come back to a realtor, so is probably legit, but of course I don't know that for sure.

…craigslist.org/oah/vac/4010224230.html

Vancouver
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

Actually now I see it says available for August/September, so maybe not October. That realtor might know of some more though. Good Luck:)

Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

Thank you, thank you......... The cottage looks to be just perfect.

In 2008 I stayed in a cottage-type on Kailua Rd only a few blocks from town ; I could walk to most everything, especially to Morning Brew for coffee, etc. This new place you recommended in the Coconut Grove area appears to be very much the same kind of situation, only in a different part of Kailua.

I plan to give them a call on Monday, Hawaii-time. Again, thanks so very much.....

Stella

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

Do NOT stay in the Coconut Grove area. It does not have the best reputation at all. Although crime is light in Kailua overall, a big piece of it takes takes place in Coconut Grove. Not a tourist place at all.

Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

Hi. Luckily I had not called the number for the studio in Kailua . Thanks for the warning.

Will continue to try to locate another place. May try to find a VRBO ; I've heard that the site must have a number with it to be legitimate.

Many thanks for your help...

Stella

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

I am sorry to say that having a number in a vacation rental website ad does not make the rental legitimate. Most of the visitor lodging businesses in Kailua are illegal. Many of them will put a state tax license number on their ads (starts with a W). This number does not make them a legal vacation rental or B&B hotel. In fact, it does not even ensure that they actually pay their taxes! Legal vacation rentals or B&B hotels located in residential neighborhoods have a non-conforming use certificate that contains the letters “TVU” or “BB” and is followed by four digits. Of course, anyone can put any number on their website, so you really need to see if the lodging address has a non-conforming use certificate to operate as a visitor lodging business. You may not know this, but Kailua has one of the highest housing costs in the nation and illegal visitor lodging businesses have contributed to the problem. When you stay in an illegal rental, you might be displacing local residents from that neighborhood. To learn more about the issue and to find out if your Kailua vacation rental or B&B hotel is legal, go to http://keepitkailua.com/?page_id=116

Chicago, IL
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

Thanks very much for all the valuable info and the website address. I've already been checking out some places.

I fell in love with Kailua several years ago. I haven't been able to get back there because of commitments to do maternity leaves for several teachers. From 2006--2009 I did house-sitting in the Ala Moana area of Waikiki for two different households. Would like to try that out in Kailua but I never see any ads for it. Would you have any recommendations of sites or places to check on Kailua house-sitting?

I'm very grateful for all your help.............

Stella

9. Re: a good place to stay in Kailua town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:22