We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Anaheim, California
1 post
Save Topic
Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Going to Kona out of LAX on July 30 2014 and then to Maui untill Aug 14, 2014 and then returning to LAX. I have not seen any real deals to hawaii yet for this time period and was wondering if i should go ahead and buy what i see now or wait. When i look at the seating availability on what is out there, it seems as if there are lmited seats. Any ideas?

Thanks

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

What price do you see?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

If you find a flight that you are willing to buy, do it. Summer is the busiest time in Hawaii. If availability is getting low, I wouldn't wait!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Welcome to Tripadvisor, 00953!

I want to point out to you that you are on the Kailua Forum ... a sub-forum for the Island of OAHU Forum.

You may want to re-post on the Big Island of Hawaii Forum. (Don't bother with sub-forums.)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,336 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Yup, busy time and high airfares. I'd book what you can and not wait any longer. If you have any flexibility with dates at all use a fare calendar at an online site like kayak which will show you within a 30 day window what fares are like each day. You can sometimes save hundreds by leaving or returning on a certain day.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 01:00
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

You might also want to post on the air travel forum. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,603 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Spend a couple of days on the Island of Hawaii forum and on the Maui forum. Waiting a couple of days won't be a deal breaker.

Decide what you want to do on each island and how many nights on each island.

Do you want to stay in hotels or condotels (condos operated like hotels)? If so, you can look at vacation packages that include air, lodging and car rentals. You might get a better deal than trying to book them separately. Also look at booking them separately.

Do you want to stay in private condos or beach house? It gives you additional options for lodging, kind of eliminates a vacation package. But you might save on air and car. Might be difficult to get the number of nights you want on each island as most of the private lodging may already be booked.

Shea makes a good point about flexible days to travel.

Don't give up any days though unless you can save enough $$ to make it worth while.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

You are very specific about your dates. If you are not able to be flexible it is probably best to purchase early. Fare sales are rarer than they used to be and airlines usually fly full planes without need to reduce rates. Does Alaska Airlines serve Hawaii from any nearby airport? If so, they have a price guarantee and will give you a credit for future use if the fare decreases after you purchase your tickets.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Living in Anaheim you may want to consider other airports. We are saving quite a bit by flying out of San Diego. One of our flights is even flying us to LAX to change planes. It was quite a bit cheaper. I have also seen the same thing from Carlsbad airport. You have to decide of course if the savings is worth it for you. We are saving about $200 each over LAX on a few tickets.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

I agree with msfuzz... if the airfare you see is one you are willing to buy .... buy it. If it;'s with Alaska and the fare drops you can ask for difference in a refund (of course they will not tell you the price dropped you have to catch it).

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii Airfare for summer 2014

Just like 'Jennifer", July of 2012 we flew to Hawaii from Las Vegas and saved about $1000 on 4 tickets. Well worth it......