We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Makai Research Pier the best snorkeling spot by Kailua?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Makai Research Pier the best snorkeling spot by Kailua?

We'll be staying in Kailua for 6 nights in mid-August. We're planning on snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and Shark's Cove. If we want to snorkel closer to Kailua, is Makai Research Pier the best option or are there others?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,393 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Makai Research Pier the best snorkeling spot by Kailua?

There are two places on the windward side that are good. The Makai Research Pier is one and Kiona Beach Park is the other. Do be aware that the research pier should only be snorkeled by those with experience. With you coming mid August, unless you really want to go to Hanauma Bay, I would skip it and snorkel the other areas instead. If you are experienced there is a good area on the west side of the island to snorkel also.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Makai Research Pier the best snorkeling spot by Kailua?

I've only snorkeled twice in my life (both times on a tour), the last time about 4 years ago so I wouldn't call myself experienced. What makes the research pier area dangerous? Why avoid Hanauma Bay in August if you get there early?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,393 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Makai Research Pier the best snorkeling spot by Kailua?

The research pier is open ocean. No really sandy beach and shallow in spots. Lots of currents that can take you away in a matter of seconds. Also, no lifeguards so if you should have problems, there will be nobody to count on helping you.

I personally avoid Hanauma Bay in the summer because the north shore snorkeling is fantastic and so much better. Since you aren't experienced, I suggest you do go to Hanauma Bay and perhaps Three Tables in on the north shore.

4. Re: Is Makai Research Pier the best snorkeling spot by Kailua?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 06:16