We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Victoria, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

I'll likely be travelling by myself in Sept. to Oahu & will have 4-5 days to spend outside Honolulu. I'd rather not be in be the windy area. I would prefer a nice snorkeling area, & hopefully reasonably priced accommodation for a single traveler. If possible, I would prefer to not have to rent a car to get there. Any suggestions? Thanks....

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,717 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

I don't know how to help you with the windy area. All can be windy or not windy.

Need to know your budget for help with accomodations. "Reasonably priced" does not tell us much. We all think that is different.

Most of the hotels are located in the Waikiki area with a couple of exceptions. For those exceptions, you will really need to rent a car.

You can stay in Waikiki and take a cab or shuttle and walk to most of the Waikiki area. Then you can use the bus for a few places located in and around Honolulu.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 15:26
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, EAJ!

Always count your nights - not your days.

Understand that the vast, vast majority of accommodations on Oahu are in the Waikiki area. There are a few resorts on other parts of the Island, some condos and vacation rentals. Three or four nights is a short stint for a condo or vacation rental, but given that you are traveling in the low season, I can't say it's impossible. Just note that you will have cleaning fees and taxes.

"Reasonable-priced" doesn't help us, really. We need a nightly accommodations budget.

The trade winds are a true blessing in September and October, when the weather overall is hot and dry.

Unless you plant yourself at a resort for the full time (which would be a shame) - you will need a car.

Victoria, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Thanks to both of you for your help! I keep seeing references to the "windward side", but it is never clear as to what "side" that actually is. I was thinking I'd rather be on the opposite side to hedge my bets! I was at Waikiki beach many years ago & it was packed with people & absolutely loaded with cigarette butts, so I was hoping to find a more remote place near a nicer beach with calmer water. A low season price range of around $100. plus or minus a bit would be nice. Clean & safe. I'll be out most of the time anyway. Thanks again....

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,717 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Windward is more of a reference to which direction the wind comes from than the velocity or windspeed. And leeward is the direction away from the wind. It is also more of a "relative direction" than an absolute.

I don't have any recommendations, but that is pretty low budget. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Anywhere near a remote beach is pretty much going to require that you have a car if just to go find something to eat.

Let's see what others might be able to suggest for you .

Edited: 26 April 2014, 18:52
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,888 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Basically the opposite side of Waikiki (which is leeward) is the windward side. This includes places like Kailua, Lanikai, Punaluu, Hauula etc. The reason this side is so green is because the trade winds bring in trade showers. The trade winds blow their strongest during the summer months. In Sept/Oct. it can be hot and dry, with the trades disappearing and you wishing they would come back because of the humidity levels!!

No more smoking on the beaches in Waikiki so you shouldn't see any cigarette butts. This area is also where you may be able to find something in your price range, although your budget if very low. I don't know that you will find anything in your price range that is on a remote beach.

Staying remote without a car rental isn't a wise thing to do. How are you going to be out and about without a car? The only place this is feasible with public transportation is Waikiki.

Victoria, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Thanks again to both of you. I'm glad to hear Waikiki beach is cleaner now!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

"I was at Waikiki beach many years ago & it was packed with people & absolutely loaded with cigarette butts, so I was hoping to find a more remote place..."

Just curious, do you mind sharing when that was??

Thx~~~~~

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

If you raise your budget to around $125, you can find a studio in the Kailua area. Throw on the tax and you'll be around $140. You will absolutely need a car to maximize the few days you have. Google Pats Kailua rentals.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 18:39
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Staying remote without a car is not a good idea.

You might find something in Punalu'u for $100, but that is very, very low and you still have to figure in cleaning fees, maybe taxes.

Victoria, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay on Oahu in Sept.?

Hmmmm.....so long ago I can't exactly remember, but I'm thinking roughly around 1985 or so.