We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second time around

Which Kailua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
155 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Second time around

We will be visiting Hawaii in January and staying 5 nights in Oahu. We are thinking about staying in Kailua but want to know about things to do at night (walking prefered). We stayed at the Moana Surfrider (no car) our first trip and thought we shoud stay in another area this trip. We are renting a car and want to see the North Shore and other areas of Oahu. Is Kailua a good choice for 5 night, I prefer not to change hotel, or we would split the time with Waikiki? Should we stay in Waikiki again and rent a car for two days to travel around the island?

Thanks for your input.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second time around

I think you really need a car to stay in Kailua. It is not a holiday spot if that makes sense rather a suburb that has some rentals available amongst locals (and check if they are legal rentals too). The beaches are gorgeous. I have stayed there and loved walking to the beach but found where we stayed we still needed a car to go to any of the restaurants or supermarket. I loved it but I couldn't imagine staying there without a car.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 11:45
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second time around

As Traceyleigh mentions, many rentals on sites like AirBnB and VRBO which allow a < 30 day stay are operating without the proper permits/certificates. Ask for a TVU or BB number before you book. You need to make sure it has an active Nonconforming Use Certificate allowing it to operate transient visitor units (TVUs) or bed and breakfast units (B&Bs).

cnn.com/2013/…

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second time around

Hi crazy janie9 -

People stay in Kailua for great access to the beautiful Kailua and Lanikai beaches, and to be out of the city, into the suburbs.

While there is a bus system, I would not recommend staying in Kailua without a car. Additionally, if you want to tour the island, most people are happiest doing so n a car, rather than tour busses

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Second time around

In Kailua you'll find a gorgeous beach and a very nice local community with an assortment of shops and restaurants, but nothing like what you have in Waikiki. In Kailua you'll need a car for easy access for dining, shopping and entertainment.

If you enjoyed your time in Waikiki, you could stay there again, and as you suggested, rent a car 2 or 3 days to see the rest of the island. One of your excursions could be to Kailua beach for a few hours and then continue touring the island.

I've spent several days in Kailua because I love the beach there, but I've split a 10-14 day trip there and spent at least a few days in Waikiki. Since you have only 5 days, I agree, you probably want to have just one place as your home base.

You may want to do a web search on Kailua or check the Kailua forum here to see if it's the place you want to spend those 5 precious days.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second time around

Staying in Waikiki without a car is doable. You really do need a car in Kailua. Kailua town (where the shops and restaurants are) is relatively far from the beach area. It's pretty dead at night -- you probably won't want to be walking back to your condo after dinner.

NYC
Level Contributor
155 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second time around

That's what I thought. In January it gets dark early do we might stay in Waikiki and rent a car two or three days to explore the island before heading to Maui. Thanks

7. Re: Second time around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:16