We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

gold coast
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

We are trying to decide on our last 5 nights in O'ahu and would like some feed back on Kaneohe Bay, I know Kailua is suppose to be very beautiful, but havent heard much about Kaneohe. Accommodation also seems to be cheaper but with water views of the bay. All your feedback would be greatly appreciated. We will be there for the last week in March.

7 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

Aloha,

I like Kaneohe for it's local feel and local food options.

The Windward Mall and the Windward City Shopping Center are fun.

Kaneohe does not have beaches.

Kailua has that wonderful beachy town feel and two world class beaches.

You could not even leave Kailua for 5 day's and be wishing you could extend your stay.

Have a great time,

Aloha

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

For me: Kailua

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

I am assuming you folks are Aussies. If I'm wrong, please forgive!

To enjoy either Kaneohe or Kailua, you really should have a car. - Is that a problem?

Armed with a car, you can enjoy BOTH Kaneohe and Kailua. We have stayed no less than ten times over the years in a rental on the hillside overlooking Kaneohe Bay. Stunning views!! Nice hiking.

And Jet is spot on about the local feel and great local food. (Pa Ke's, Kin Wah, Tasty Korean BBQ, L&L BBQ, the Leonards malasada truck, the grilled chicken cooked out in the church parking lot(occasionally), poke from Foodland, and much more). And you can get still more local flavor if you take your laundry to the open air Kaneohe Washerette. - Maybe talk a little story waiting for the dryer!

After soaking that in, a short drive takes you to Kailua Beach park - the most beautiful beach I have ever seen! Uncrowded (even on the weekends when the locals come out) gorgeous, gentle waters, wonderful sand, happy keikis and dogs.Lots of water activities.

But if a car doesn't work for you, forget Kaneohe. Not practical. Kailua may be OK, but you will need to be energetic walker/bikers.

Please let us all know what you decide and how it works out.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

those water views are they blue water? anyway both are nice towns and Kailua wins if swimming (ocean) is a factor. I see Kin Wah above pretty cool its still around, always liked my Chinese food in Kailua but Kin Wah had me second guessing.

easy to bounce between the too but always prefered Kaneohe Bay drive coming through Aikahi then using Mokapu. maybe I didn't want to pass the old high school.

divorced parents at age six my Father lived on Kaneohe Bay and Mom lived in Kailua. Kailua for me.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

I've lived in both and Kailua is a clear winner for me, as well. If you can get a hillside view of Kaneohe Bay, it may suffice, but Kailua has a better feel in my opinion. You can actually walk around Kailua town, where as Kaneohe is much more spread out and not that great for strolling about.

As an aside, I went to Kin Wah for dinner about a month ago and had one of the worst chinese meals I've ever had...and I've eaten a lot of them growing up in Hawai'i!

gold coast
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

Thank you so much for your feedback. It looks like Kailua is the place to stay and Kaneohe Bay to visit. We have now booked a house near the Enchanted Lake, (just about impossible to get reasonable accommodation close to beach in such a short time - next time we will plan further in advance). Looking forward to visiting both towns Will take a copy of this post and follow up a few of the recommended sights and food options. Thank you. (and Yes, I am a Aussie!)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay

We are staying in Kaneohe for five nights inJanuary and we have a car so will check both out. Thanks for the tips and I will print them off as well.

Reply to: Kaneohe Bay versus Kailua - best place for 5 night stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaneohe