We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

Indianapolis...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

We are considering staying at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach club. It will be the first visit for our teenage kids. We are lanning on touring/viewing Pearl Harbor, war memorials, diamond head and other sites around Waikiki. We will probbly have to sight-see over multiple days! I have read that drivng from here to Waikiki is very difficult with all the traffic! Is driving to those sites going to be very hectic? Ae there tour companies who pick up at Ko Olina? Should we stay right in the heart of Waikiki instead?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,778 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

If you wait until 8am to start touring you won't have any problems from Ko 'Olina.

But on the day you go to USS Arizona leave earlier. Leave Ko 'Olina around 6:20-6:30 & get to USS Arizona around 7am. By the time you leave Pearl Harbor, the traffic will thin.

Traffic on H-1 returning to Ko 'Olina is bad from 3:30-6:30pm. Try to stay away from returning then, but if once or twice it won't be bad.

From downtown Honolulu to Ko 'Olina it is only about 20 miles or so.

I think the kids would like Waikiki more. But no big deal.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

I both agree/diagree with Dusty. Teenagers will definitely enjoy Waikiki more, so I actually think it is a big deal...at least for the kids.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

For a fist time trip with teens I would say stay in Waikiki for sure. Lots of action and excitement and activities right outside your door. Check out the Outrigger Hotel or Waikiki Sheraton.

Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

I have teens (actually 17 & 20) and we will be staying at Ko Olina in July. I also have a 22yo. It depends on your teens; my kids favorite vacations are the ones where we stayed outside of the crowded areas and they had a nice quiet pool area, empty beaches, no swarms of little kids, and no battle for beach chairs. We like condos or houses over hotels because of the ability to have our own private spaces and also have together time with a wild game of scrabble or charades. When we have stayed close in, in more crowded areas, my kids are more content to just hang close to us. They are busy and on the go at home; they need peace, quiet, and down time just like us when they are on vacation. We do the touristy things about every other day, shopping, sightseeing, hikes, etc, and make sure to have plenty of plain old beach and bonding time, so quiet is better. Your kids may be different and prefer to be in the heart of things. My kids hate that; we get that at home. Vacation is our escape.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

We visited the lagoons at Ko Olina during our recent trip and although it was very fun for a short afternoon, it isn't a "real" beach. You can't take a long walk on the beach. Also I didn't think Ko Olina had a whole lot of character either- just the resorts, Costco, and Target. It is possible that we missed somethings as our stay was brief there. On the flip side Waikiki was entertaining with tons to do and no shortage of character.

We had a GPS and only made one big driving mistake that was easily fixed but added a 20 minute scenic drive! Yes, we experienced traffic delays in Waikiki, North Shore (the worst of our traffic experience) and on our way to Ko Olina because of an accident but we kept our Aloha and it wasn't a big deal. My favorite highway sign was "drive with aloha".

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

I agree that alot depends on your teens. Since urban pleasures and crowded beaches are something we can get at home, my kids always enjoyed a more relaxed and natural (although you can argue man-made lagoons aren't natural) setting vacations. Just depends. I wouldn't let me teens loose in Waikiki by themselves (depending on the age of course, ie 13 too young, 17/18 just fine) so a Ko Olina type resort would have suited us well.

North shore touring from Ko Olina is easy and there isn't much traffic going that way. Dusty's spot on about touring Pearl Harbour.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

We have 3 kids and have gone to Oahu 4 times. We just returned from our second stay in Ko Olina. Ko Olina is a great place when you have young kids. It is peaceful, you can hear the birds and smell the flowers. You can bbq your meals, enjoy walks and avoid crowds, and there plenty places to eat around Ko olina. We toured all parts of the island from Ko Olina, but when you hit the road it is a full day trip and you do have to know when traffic hits, you need to be careful during rush hour.Drive to Waikiki is 45 minutes but you cannot drive there or back between 3-7pm. We drove to the north shores in 35 minutes ,Kauila Beach in 30 minutes.

Waikiki is action packed, traffic, lots of shopping, all sorts of people,crowds,etc....

So it depends on what you enjoy. If you do tours from Waikiki do you plan to rent a car?or grab a tour?

If your teens like action they will not find it in Ko OLina, nor is there any surf there, the waters are calm.

I absolutely love Ko Olina, I have sent friends there and they all have returned, however for teens, hmmmm, it really depends on them.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 00:41
8. Re: Touring from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 14:18