We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Olina

Which Kapolei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Olina

WE are staying in Oahu for a month & half Nov 1- Dec 15. In trying to book a place I am trying to figure out our best choice. We have a possible couple places in in Ko Olina Kai or a place in Ko Olina Fairway or Coconut Plantation. Any input on the best choice? We are traveling with an 8yo boy and 16 yo girl. Love the pool and beach(obviously) and won't have the car during the day unless I drop my husband off at work and pick him up. Any helpful input would be great! Thanks

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,929 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Olina

You do realize Ko Olina is in a fairly isolated area right? Personally I think kids the ages of yours would be fairly bored out there after the newness wears off. Where is your dh working? Will he be fighting the traffic in and out of there every day?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Olina

Without a car that would not be my first choice unless I wasn't planning on doing anything during the day with the kids except lay at the beach. Your 16 yo might be a bit bored out there after a day or so.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
616 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Olina

Have you looked into staying in Kailua? If that's a possibility, that would be a great place to stay; it's a cute beach town with a beautiful beach. Ko olina is nice but wouldn't be my choice without a car. It's too isolated. In Kailua, you have access to public transportation. Good luck:)

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,538 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Olina

Aloha,

Kailua would be a great place to stay, also might be a better drive for your husband, if he has to go to Honolulu.

We can help you plan some great day trips, with some info.

Aloha

Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Olina

My husband will be working in Kapolei. So Kailua won't work for us. I will have the car if I need it. If it becomes a problem we will rent a 2nd car. I was really hoping to get so insight into the different parts of Ko Olina if anyone has some. The place we are staying in is in the Ko Olina Kai area.

The kids and I can go where ever we want and do what we want during the day. They are going to be doing school online while we are there and then the rest is free time. But it is not so much vacationing as living I am hoping. We will surely head out on day trips around the island to explore and shop as well. any great tips would be much appreciated.

Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Olina

Also...we will be arriving on the 30th of Oct. We need to do Halloween with the our 8 yo....Suggestions?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Olina

I am sending you a PM about Halloween.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Olina

Ko Olina is a relatively young, slowly developing destination resort that currently lacks sufficient critical mass to keep you entertained for days on end unless you golf, fish or sail.

The near-by town of Kapolei is a typical new, suburban community with everything you would expect from groceries, to theaters, to fast food , to big box stores. It is oriented towards the growing regional resident population, not our visitors.

Your kids may enjoy the Wet 'N Wild Water Park located a few miles from the resort. Good fun, and not crowded at all during the week.

They offer a variety of packages including transportation, food, other area attractions, and even one where you get a free rental car for a day when buying a family pass.

http://hawaii.mywetnwild.com/

There are a variety of ocean activities operating out of the Ko Olina Marina. Not cheap, but a wonderful time.

koolinamarina.com/explore-marina/marina-acti…

Bellingham, wa
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Olina

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Olina

I have stayed in Ko olina a few times with our 3 children all under the ages of 10. We stayed at the Kai, excellent property. Very clean, safe, tons of families who live there, it is more residential then a hotel. There are green spaces that we saw local kids playing ball, pool is also excellent. The other property that is very nice is the Coconut, huge patio's, pool is ok, Kai is better for that, walking distance to ABC market and beach, hammocks everywhere. I would not stay at the Fairway, old, feels like social housing, pool is no good. Hillside is ok, if you are on a budget. The kai and Coconut are the only places I would consider .

The Beach Villas is where we will stay next year, it is high end, great location but can be pricey. Kapolei is a 5 minute drive, great little city, easy to get around.

If you have any other questions let me know.