We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food question

Which Kapolei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
food question

Aloha - I plan on spending most of my days at various beaches so I would like to pack lunch/snacks to bring with me daily. Does anyone know of a good/decent priced grocery store near the JW Marriott that I could stop at in the morning on my way out?

Also, is there a place to buy a cheap cooler somewhere (foam is ok)? I don't really want to pack one since I only want to bring 1 bag and a carry on.

Thanks

Wendi

4 weeks to go!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food question

When you leave Ko'Olina and go right - back in the direction of the airport, Honolulu, etc. the second exit you see will be "1B" on the right; it's about 5 miles away (the town of Kapolei). There is a Safeway, K-Mart, restaurants, just about anything you could need during your stay. Have fun!

(pagecuerva1@hotmail.com)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
68 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food question

By the way, the beaches by the JW Marriott are some of the best on Oahu. Most people just can't get on to them unless they're staying in Ko'Olina at either the JW Marriott or Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club. As a result they are also uncrowded.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,098 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food question

If you go to WalMart you can get a good-sized, Hawaiian patterned soft cooler for about $14. Use it, then fold it up and take it home as a souvenir. ABC Stores have smaller ones for about $10.

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food question

We just finished a week at Ko Olina and packed beach lunches a couple of times. When you've got your cooler, I'd recommend finding the "Poke Stop" in Waipahu, a couple of exits toward Honolulu to help fill them. They have the absolute best poke we tried while we were there, and if you're not into raw fish, they do terrific tempura and bento boxes. They set us up with some of the best lunches we've ever had.

Find out more here:

hawaiidiner.com/restaurants/restaurant.php…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: food question

I agree w/the suggestions to go to either Kmart or Wal-Mart and get a soft sided cooler. I especially like mine because of the strap on it. I can carry in over my shoulder unlike a regular cooler. Also could work as a carry on bag if you need!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: food question

There's also a deli at the Ko'olina marina at the south end of the complex. They make some great sandwiches at very reasonable prices.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food question

I actually took the cooler/carry-on bag a step further and bought one at Sam's Club that has wheels and an extendable handle. I used mine to pack water, sandwiches, veggies, and other snacks in the bottom and put blue ice on top of all that. On top of that I put an insulated separater that came with it and put my carry-on stuff on top of that. It was great since the airlines don't provide much in the way of food. I used it coming and going. While we were in Hawaii, we packed it every day and took it to the beach, around the swimming pool, and for outings in the car.

Outside Phila.
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food question

Aloha, all good suggestions, mine would be to definitely!!! go to Makaha and Ka' ena beaches just take Farrington Highway all the way, short drive (traffic only at rush hours) and our favorite stop during our recent 10 day stay at Ko Olina deserted,stunning, beaches, bring what you need for the day and stay!! There are life guards and public bathrooms all long the way. Careful near the tent towns.. just go all the way till right before the road ends if deserted beautiful beaches are what you are searching for.