We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

san francisco
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

We will be staying at Aulani with 2 preschoolers (ages 4 and 5), and will not be renting a car. (We have been to Hawaii many times, so just want to enjoy pool and beach time with the kids!)

I have read that restaurant options at Aulani or nearby resorts are expensive and not very tasty. Are there any casual family-friendly restaurants we can easily walk to from Aulani? Are there any markets where we can grab things like milk, cereal, coffee, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

There's a store onsite where you can get the staples like milk and cereal. There's also an ABC store across the street from Aulani in a small plaza. I believe there's also a small restaurant in that plaza, but we took one look at it and didn't go in. Anything outside of the Ko Olina resort will require a car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,191 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

Places at Ko'Olina, not at the resorts are Kolohe's Bar and Grill, Longboards, Chuck's Steakhouse, Ko'Olina Hawaiian Bar-B-Que, Island Country Market (this is ABC Stores fancy version with a take out deli), Just Tacos Mexican Grill and Two Scoops (hot dogs and sundaes). There is also a Roy's, while not cheap has great Aloha Hour prices.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

The market is right across the street and has very good selections . We ate at the Hawaiian barbecue place and it wax delicious. The tacos place looked very nice too. There is also store at the Marriott where you can buy sandwiches and one night they also had fried chicken.

The hot dogs next to the pool at the Aulani are well priced and yummy. They have excellent shave ice too.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

Monkeypod is across the street in the shopping center across the street. It's a cool restaurant with yummy food and a wide selection of local beers.

http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/ko-olina/

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

Here are some food blog reviews of the places mentioned so far and some others I found - let me just say from the photos I would be likely to move in to Monkeypod for the duration of my stay. :) looks amazing.

Ko ‘Olina Hawaiian BBQ

thefoodqueen.com/2012/…

Monkeypod

…blogspot.com.au/2013/03/monkeypod-kitchen-k…

nonstophonolulu.com/eating/…

islandviewsislandnews.com/2013/02/monkeypod-…

…blogspot.com.au/2013/…monkeypod-kitchen.html

'AMA'AMA

http://thefoodqueen.com/2012/02/13/amaama/

http://veggietorials.com/539/

…blogspot.com.au/2012/04/ama-ama-restaurant-…

One paddle two paddle

thefoodqueen.com/2012/…

Island Style Markets -

…blogspot.com.au/2012/04/island-style-market…

Roys -

Dinner - http://thefoodqueen.com/2012/02/22/roys/

…blogspot.com.au/2010/08/best-fusion-seafood…

Lunch - thefoodqueen.com/2012/03/24/roys-lunch/

Off the hook -

…blogspot.com.au/2012/08/off-hook-disney-aul…

This one covers a few different places to eat at Aulani -

disney-goddess.com/2011/09/aulanis-restauran…

This was something good to read that I found -

http://thevacationgals.com/affordable-aulani-how-to-vacation-at-disney’s-hawaii-resort-on-a-budget/

Hope this is useful. :)

san francisco
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

Thank you for all of your help!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

There's not much there. There is just not much there. And whether your kids are going to want to walk to the little area with the BBQ or Mexican food (which I really like!) - remains to be seen. Yes, there is the oversized ABC Store (Island Country Market) with a "not very good" deli case and some food items. Roy's, Chuck's - those are pricey.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

"There's not much there. There is just not much there."

BLBL, behave! : )

You don't need much! I LOVE Ko Olina precisely because there is not much there. Beedoo, thanks for posting the yummy food links. The Monekypod must be new since I was there last september. I coudl hardly wait to try it! You'll fnd me there every happy hour during my stay for sure! Big Yum!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

Monkeypod does look incredible - scorchestra if you go pretty please take photos and write a review. :)

I have to say that country market looked pretty amazing too.

What I saw did inspire me to make sure we head out there and check it out on this next trip when we have the car. Definitely will be eating at Monkeypod!

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aulani - walkable restaurant options?

I will take photos and write a review. Though I don't think my photos will look any better than the ones on the blog, YUM!

Get answers to your questions about Kapolei
Recent Conversations