We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

My boyfriend and I have been vacationing in Hawaii in February for about the last 10 years, our first love is the Big Island, but we have also fallen in love with Maui, Kauai, and Lanai.

Unfortunately, due to finances, we thought we were going to have to give up traveling to Hawaii for several years. We didn't travel in 2013; but we realized we have enough Disney Vacation Club points (and frequent flier miles) to stay at Aulani for 10-14 days. We do have to do some finger crossing and hope they have availability when we are allowed to book. It's just the two of us traveling.

While I'm pretty excited about staying in Aulani; most posts I've read about Ko Olina seem to start with suggesting staying in another area.

We will have a car and driving around isn't a problem; heck, we've done day trips from Waikoloa to Hilo and/or the Volcano more than once.

I am hoping we can make this thread about the positive things about staying in the area, not to just help me, but to help others who are researching in the future.

Thanks in advance for the positive feedback!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

What is great about Ko'Olina is its isolation from the more crowded parts of Honolulu. The pools at Aulani are great and I love the resort.

Yes, you have more limited dining options, and it is a harder base to see the typical tourist sites from, but overall it is still a nice area, just not where most people would recommend for most first time visitors to Oahu.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

We had a great thread a little while back about dining options out there -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60654-i998-k63839…

I linked to a whole bunch of food blog posts, worth checking out.

Monkeypod just opened up out there, I would say you would eat there at least once if not a few times.

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

Oahu is amazing away from Waikiki Beach. You will have a great place to stay and lot's of time to explore. I wish I had your problem.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

Beedoo

Would you recommend eating at Monkeypod?

Edited: 09 May 2013, 08:32
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

I am going out there especially to do so, on our next trip. :) This is based on the food blog posts I have read.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

We love Ko Olina. It's quiet and pretty much exclusive for those staying in the high end accommodations. It's an easy trip to just about everything on Oahu. Avoiding the traffic that some complain about is pretty easy. Just don't try to get into or out of Honolulu during rush hour. The area is lovely and definitely has the resort feel. Enjoy your stay.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

Also you are close to this hike -

thelandrumwife.com/2012/11/getting-to-know-h…

Looks like it might be worth doing. ;)

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

I'm looking forward to trying Monkeypod, I have been to the one on Maui...as well as Peter Merriman's other restaurants, and enjoy them all.

The big resort while traveling to Hawaii is going to be a change for us; as we typcially stay at condos or smaller B & B type places. Staying in a quiet area is nothing really knew for us though.

I think in the end; we will probably save money on food as I typically drag my boyfriend to higher end places for dinner. While I think we will try out the restaurants at Aulani; we will also cook some dinners in our unit.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

I love Ko Olina. My family owns a timeshare at the Marriott Beach Club and we will be staying there for the 4th time in December. It's very beautiful and peaceful there. It's perfect for people that want to be away from all the crowds in Waikiki and it really isn't that far to drive to other parts of the island. Like another poster said you just don't want to be driving during rush hour. I would highly recommend staying there.

The Disney Resort looks very nice, too, although I've never been inside their grounds. Just be aware that there will obviously be lots of kids around and if you are wanting to be right in the mix of everything then you probably won't like staying there.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,626 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is GREAT about staying in Ko Olina?

Go to the Oahu forum.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page on the Oahu forum. Driving tours, Websites, Maps, etc.

Use the search on the Oahu forum: trip report

Read 15-20 trip reports.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & each of the islands. You can also read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

or

1-800-GOHAWAII

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

This is a good Ko'Olina site:

http://www.koolina.com/

Ko'Olina map:

www.koolina.com/explore/interactive-map

To see where the restaurants are, click on: Dining

The green dots will be too close together, so magnify the map. Then click & drag the map.

Several of the restaurants are in Ko'Olina Station & Ko'Olina Center both just across from Aulani.

Edited: 09 May 2013, 16:08