We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Olina Beach Club

Which Kapolei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Olina Beach Club

Hi everyone ~

I am trying to exchange my timeshare for September 2007. I'm doing it early, in hopes that something will be available.

Has anyone stayed there recently? I know they are under going some remodeling.

We will be renting a car for touring the island.

TIA

Tessa

Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

We live not far away, so I haven't stayed seen the rooms, but the resort is very nice, the lagoons are lovely, the susets are great. Just be prepared for the fact that it is a quiet resort area, nowhere near the hustle & bustle of Waikiki, which for me is a great point in it's favor. And Honolulu is about an hour away, depending on the time of day & traffic. Enjoy your visit!

Petaluma, CA
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

We own a timeshare at Marriott's Maui property and have traded it for Thanksgiving week at Ko Olina. My husband, three teenagers and myself will be staying in a two bedroom condo.

I am wondering if anyone knows the status of the construction? I had heard it was supposed to be completed by November of this year.

I have enjoyed reading the reviews at this site and think we will love this property. My only concern is the construction.

Thanks for any info anyone has.

Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

Thanks for the info. I am surprising my husband for his birthday, Sept. 2007. Having never been to Oahua, and checking out the timeshares that are available, this one came up as an B+.

Both of us really like having the kitchen facilities, rather than a hotel room. And we would rather stay "on the beach" than near the beach. The quietness doesn't bother us, in fact we love it. We also love exploring, hence renting a car.

I am now second guessing myself about possibley being in too remote an area? Want to see Arizona Memorial, Diamond Head, Hanuauma Bay, Waikiki, Sunset Beach, to name a few.

Any input would be appreciated.

LA
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

not timeshare related, but you can try castle waikiki shore. Tye are condos on the beach with kitchen and washer.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

Stayed at the JW Marriott and loved the area. We were so glad we were not in the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. The area is just great. Its not that far from Waikiki, 30 minutes on a weekend to the airport and not much further to the beach in Waikiki, at least that is how long it took us.

East Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

We just returned for the beach club a week ago. Construction is everywhere, cranes and trucks beeping constantly. The resort is secluded but not so bad that a 30 minute drive won't get you pretty much anywhere on the island. (Avoid rush hour from 6:00 - 9:00 and 3:00 - 6:00) weekdays. Read my review of our stay at the beach club for more info - "Some Good - Some not so Good" (8/28/06)

Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

mtcharley.. I can't seem to find your trip report.

East Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

I've attached a copy of my review. Hope this helps.

We just returned from the 6 day 5 night timeshare offer. The resort itself was beautiful and almost everyone that worked there was friendly and helpful. I'll list our likes and dislikes of this resort:

Liked:

1) Beautiful facility - clean and picturesque

2) Friendly staff

3) Rooms beautifully decorated

4) Linger Longer program (provided if you have a later flight on the day of your checkout)

Disliked:

1) Very few food choices, not very appetizing and extremely over priced

2) Young kids (12 and under) running and screaming constantly at the pool and lagoons (some attended but alot seemed to be completely unsupervised)

3) Very few, if any, activities for adults or teenagers after 8:00 pm

4) Having to rent everything for the beach (snorkels, chairs, boogie boards, etc.)

5) No real beach for ocean activities like surfing or boogie boarding (no waves)

Below I have listed a few suggestions for anyone traveling to this location:

1) Stop at the Safeway in Kapolei and pick up some food staples for your room. It's still expensive but will save you money in the long run. Also, go to Long's and get some rafts and snorkels.

2) If you want to learn to surf take the lessons from Hawaii Fire. The instructors were awesome and the beach they take you to was beautiful and very secluded.

3) Go to the Society of Seven show at the Outrigger Waikiki. This show was one of our favorite activities while in Waikiki. We did the dinner buffet w/show and it was definately worth it.

4) If you need any transportation while you're there - we used VIP Transportation for airport shuttles and they were great.

5) If you're there on a Sat/Sun/Wed go to the Flea Market at the Stadium. Local vendors with cool souveniers. Go early because it gets really hot standing on that asphalt later in the day.

6) Definately rent a car if you're staying at Ko Olina.

7) My son golfed at the Ko Olina Golf Course and thought it was excellent.

8) My husband and son chartered the Boom Boom fishing boat for an 8 hour fishing trip - only caught one fish but it wasn't for the captain not making every effort possible.

9) Ko-Olina Cat Dolfin & Snorkeling trip - okay - especially since it was free. Not sure if I'd pay for this excursion or not.

10) We ate at several different restaurants but unfortunately won't recommend any.

11) Paradise Cove Lua - a huge disappointment for us. We got the mid-grade package which got you 4 drink tickets each and served dinner vs. standing in line. Activities were mediocre. The food was, in my opinion below average, seating was not the best but the service during the meal was excellent. The show was good but everything leading up to it was so so.

11) Take a ride to the North Shore. Wow! We stopped at the Dole Pineapple Plantation and walked around and got a Dole Whip (yummy). Stopped at Waimea Beach. This was my favorite beach of all. My son especially liked the rocks for jumping off. If you go - get there early because we went on a Monday and the parking lot was full by 10:00. We stopped at Giovanni's for lunch (shrimp scampi). This is a local favorite and was pretty good. $12.00 for 12 shrimp and 2 scoops of white rice. On the drive back we stopped at another beach to watch the giant sea turtles sun bathing - that was pretty cool. Last leg of the North Shore journey we stopped in Haleiwa for a Matsumoto's Shave Ice. The best shaved ice on the island. We waited in line 30 minutes for one but it was worth it - they even put a scoop of the best vanilla ice cream I've ever tasted in the bottom of the cup. Cool little town for shopping as well.

All in all a pretty nice vacation but would not travel to this island again.

Well that pretty much wraps it up. Hope this review helps.

This TripAdvisor Member:

Liked: Room & Cleanliness of Facilities

Disliked: Prices/Food Choices/Nightlife

Tips/Secrets: Rent a car

Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

thank you very much!

I haven't made my reservations yet and since I'm surprising my husband I can't ask him if he minds there are no waves.. only a lagoon.

You had to rent chairs on the beach? Is that something typical in Hawaii or just the Ko Olina?

Appreciate your honesty in your report.

East Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Olina Beach Club

Regular lounge chairs were free - but for Cabana style there was a charge.